Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bonnets

Mama used to make everyday bonnets with gathered crown, quilted brim and a skirt across the back to shade one's neck. There were little ties that gathered up the skirt to fit and long ties that tied under one's chin. As a child, I resisted wearing a bonnet, claiming they were 'countrified' and preferring a straw hat. I wear a straw hat now and long to have a bonnet again, made of tiny blue gingham checks like Mama always used.

In later years, she abandoned the bonnets in favor of a hat. Once she had a coolie style hat and her 4 year old grandson, just back from 18 months in Okinawa where his Dad worked for the U.S. Missile Command, asked, "Is Grandmama a Papasan?" when he saw her in the garden.

1 comment:

  1. I love to sew. Your mention of bonnets sent me searching. I thought you might enjoy this article from the the MO Library site.
    http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/periodicals/bittersweet/su77e.htm

    MeMo

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers