Friday, September 14, 2007

Rabbit Tobacco

Rabbit tobacco, Gnaphalium obtusifolium. an aromatic herb usually considered a field weed, shown with Esperanza, Tecoma stans. Gnaphalium is the host plant for American painted lady butterflies.
Look closely on the right to see little buds forming on Pride of Barbados, silhouetted against Castor Bean leaves.

Mexican Bush Sage, Salvia leucantha and some other pretties like melampodium have come through the drought fairly well. Periwinkles were late taking off, but they're pretty now.

2 comments:

  1. Rabbit tobacco - I've heard it makes a good tea and a good corncob pipe smoke but I've don't think I've ever seen it growing (or I did and I missed it!) I'd love to trade you some seeds for seeds. I actually have some Nicotiana Tabacum that's seeding quite successfully right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Jean! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you... I'd love to trade you for some Rabbit tobacco seeds - my e-mail address is: david @ goodmanshow.com (just take out the spaces!) Thanks for writing me back via my blog! I love reading your entries and seeing your lovely garden. My wife and I are going to try scattering wildflower seeds this year and see what happens...

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers