Thursday, October 11, 2007

Make Lemonade


More about the Herb Garden: the faux fountain may move to be incorporated over by the stone birdbath where water is constantly dripping for the birds. The FF gets littered with pine straw over the glass stones. Well, everything gets littered with pine straw, but the bare ground doesn't matter and the plants are glad for the mulch.

Maybe in that center circle I'll put clump of lemon grass. I like lemon grass, both for the fragrance and for the graceful clumps is forms, such a pretty green. I had forgotten lemon basil, it survived the drought. I gathered a handful of seeds this morning; there are more seeds. Both these lemon scented herbs are delightful just to pluck a leaf and sniff.

Before the tour this morning was over, I'd clipped several things to sniff: lemon basil, a Peace rose; gaillardia that I'd clipped back off the thyme, nipping the thyme in doing so.

Off-topic note: That tropical shrub with the tubular red blooms that I can't call the name right this moment has new blooms. Pride of Barbados is putting on little seed pods! There was a Monarch butterfly on the tithonia along with the usual Gulf Frits.

4 comments:

  1. Nell, I've given you an award. Please stop by my blog, to pick it up, when you have a moment!

    MeMo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh lemon grass. Such an exotic herb in these parts. Never even thought to grow it myself. Going to have to put it on my list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Memo, I've been away.

    Lemon grass (cymbopogon) that you buy at the grocery will root in a beaker of water if it has a bit of basal plate at the bottom of a clump. It's frost tender and will not return above zone 8, but will grow in a sunny window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous space. Can you grow lemon grass in freezing weather? I'm in TN and I brought some with me from Florida. I was figuring on bringing it inside for the winter and hoping it survives in the low light.

    Makes GREAT tea!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers