Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Herb Garden Treasure

"Herb Gardening in Five Seasons" by Adelma Simmons was one of the goodies that I found at the Library book sale yesterday, for twenty cents. Published in 1964 and now removed from circulation, the information is as fresh as herbals of today.

The book is full of details on growing, harvesting and using herbs, as well as pronouncing their names and planning herb garden beds. I am doubtful of planting a 'butterfly' herb garden with a crescent shape filled with differnt dots of color and stones for the butterfly's head, however. My butterflies like great swaths of one flower or masses of a couple of plants.
Tiger Swallowtail on Agastache

I passed up a book of the same era on growing roses. It was full of hybrid teas and not much else. Rose styles are much changed in fifty years.

4 comments:

  1. What is the fifth season? I seldom find any good gardening books at the Library book sales any more. I think we must have a gardener who works at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fifth season is Christmas. She devotes chapters to pot pourri, wreaths, pomanders. There's a chapter with Christmas recipes including a gingerbread with no ginger, just cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bargains like that. Love the butterfly photo.

    I saw you on Dot's Georgia Bloggers list. I live in the same county as Dot but in a different town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your butterfly pics ... :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers