Monday, March 17, 2008

My Fav Daffodil Design

For years, I've planted double rows of daffodils, or free-form beds falling down the hill ending in a point of sorts. Last fall I dug little crescent moon shapes on the ends of some beds and planted daffodils overseeded with various spring annuals: Larkspur, Sweet William Dianthus, two kinds of Poppies, Alyssum.

This grouping has larkspur, sweet william and a few poppies and snaps in front of daylilies.
This area has 2 different kinds of poppies among the daffodils and dormant daylilies just coming up behind.

By putting daylilies on the ends, the bigger beds of perennials and shrubs need not be disturbed and I'll maybe remember that daffodils are on the ends. When the spring annuals fade, summer annuals can be seeded in. Sweet William lasts for at least two years.

8 comments:

  1. Jean,

    I've always wondered about the Sweet William, I started to plant some SW seeds last spring but wasn't sure how long they last - now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love daffodils so coming over to visit your blog is a real treat. Here the Thalia daffodils have just started flowering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will know it is Spring when I see the crocus and daffodils here ... not yet, but soon. Love the river of daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing says spring to me as much as the daffodils. I can't wait to see mine. Yours are so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your daffodils. Mine are rather small but I've seen some that are much bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does sweet william bloom the next spring for you if you plant seeds in the fall? I've always thought I had to treat it as a biennial and start it 18 months in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When Sweet William blooms depends on the length of your growing season. Half-hardy seeds planted in November or December here are up by February and bloom some by late summer. The next spring is the bigger show. Once Sweet William is started, it will reseed and/or keep going by rooting along the horizontal stems to act as a short-lived perennial.

    My intent in the top photo is that the Sweet Williams make a little edging of green in front of larkspur and snaps which should bloom as the daffodil foliage fades. By fall, the Sweet William may or may not bloom, but other things will be blooming beind, so it doesn't matter. Next Spring it should be blooming with and after the daffodils. (The daffodils and the Sweet William seeds were planted in early December.)

    Sometimes my best plans work out, sometimes self sown seeds make an even better show. Or not.

    It's all interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers