Friday, October 17, 2008

Epiphyllum Oxypetalum & Epi Tree


The first of 4 blooms opened tonight. When I last went to check at 11 pm, the Greenhouse smelled so good it made my head hurt.


I'm still gluing bark and fern and lichens and moss to the epi tree. It's been too hot to stand on a ladder in a hot greenhouse to finish it.


A new little pump refurbished the fountain which is now under a bench among the gingers and 'Black Magic' elephant ears. A purple pentas that was almost eaten by caterpillars has revived since I potted and brought it in.



By late winter it should be a real Jungle when seeds start sprouting for an early start, so I furnished the greenhouse with a little elephant stool to hold a mossy pot of Purple Heart, an old elephant planter that Mama had that may have been a chia pet, and a parrot cookie jar.


There are live tree frogs and anoles for the amusement of Inky, who prowls behind the potting bench.

3 comments:

  1. Nell ~ I love your greenhouse and look forward to seeing more pictures during the winter when it's a jungle in there. Love that bloom and your Epi Tree. You inspire me to keep on working in my gardens. FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I made it here to see more pics of your greenhouse and the fun things you're putting in it! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the epi tree! What a marvelous idea! Is that fern you are putting on the resurrection fern?

    I about had a heart attack when I saw the parrot cookie jar! I have never seen one like that. I have one, but it is not colorful like yours. Is it old? Is it new? Is it heavy? Is there a mark on the bottom?

    Don't mean to be so bold, but I collect cookie jars, and I am always intrigued when I see one that I have never seen before.

    I love visiting your greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers