Monday, December 15, 2008

Bloom Day, December

Sasanqua Camellias have hundreds of blooms and drop petals like a carpet under the bush, or tree, in this case. Freezes take out the open blossoms, but there are always tight buds to open up quickly:


Camellia japonica 'Mathotiana' has been here since about 1970. DH pulled it up by the roots several years ago because it was too close to the house. A new plant eventually rose from a piece of root that remained.


Physotegia, or obedient plant, does not start to bloom until November here.

A brave Gerbera daisy and a bud. Notice the daffodil foliage at right:


We had a few freezing nights but we're back to balmy days and 50's at night -- see the NOAA weather widget in my sidebar. Last December this time we had pentas and roses still in bloom. Frost took them out this year in November.

See what's blooming all over the country at May Dreams Gardens Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

7 comments:

  1. I love the Camellia flower and long thought it was only missing scent. I may be expecting too much from one flower. They are lovely. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these. I know a few that grow and bloom in my area. Going on my wish list....I NEED a flower that blooms in December.

    HappyinTexas from Gardenweb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those camellias are beautiful. I think I'll have to plant a few in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your camellias are gorgeous!

    We went to the UNC campus today (library visit) and saw so many camellias in bloom. It was drizzling, so I didn't take photos.

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nell,
    I love those camellias! Even the obedient plant looks good to me, now that nothing is blooming here. You should go ahead and put some pics of what's blooming in your greenhouse.

    It's currently 2 degrees here in SE Nebraska. Brr!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those camellias seem quite hardy, in terms of blooming again after a frost.

    Thanks for joining in for bloom day.
    Carol, May Dreams Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there :-D

    Great to see your flowers on GBBD. Yes, the camelia was lovely but it was the gerbera that stole your show for me :-D

    My post, from Scotland, is up now too if you would like to visit :-D

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers