Friday, March 6, 2009

Agapanthus

Year before last, I bought two pots of agapanthus and planted out. Last summer, only one had a single bloom. I've read not to disturb them, but they weren't all that happy, so I dug, divided and replanted, with the help of Buffie, my able assistant, who pulled them up twice.

Instead of two single clumps, they're now 2 groups of three each. Some little pieces off the side went into a pot to grow on.

I'm trying not to plant out things, in case of frost. Only a week until our 'last frost date' but a week plus a month until the last date I've seen killing frosts. The urge to move things out and into the ground is very strong.

4 comments:

  1. What's the color of your agapanthus?
    I have two varieties, blue and white. In my climate, agapanthus is quite easy to grow and they multiply fast. I plant a "row" of them in front of my home as foundation planting in 2005 and now I have lots of clumps. I also have some "volunteers" from seeds, too.
    Hope to see photos of your blooms soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, another plant I think I want to add to my list of wants. I looked it up on google. Let us know how it does for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang on! The Spring's almost there! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. It didn't occur to me that you had frequent frosts there, and a last average frost date. I forgot what zone you are.

    Your place is looking great!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers