Thursday, April 2, 2009

Purple Heart

Setcreasea pallida, or Purple Heart, often used as a container plant, is super in the landscape. The stems are succulent, so it doesn't wilt easily. Broken stems root easily, just stick them into soil.


March, 2009

Last year I saw a house with purple heart edging daylily beds and came home to immediately start a Purple Heart edging in front of the Long Rock Bed. The plants die back in winter. They have a good start this season. I tucked some yellow daylilies behind, along with some yellow true lilies. Melampodium will reseed in summer.

October, 2008

2 comments:

  1. I've got purple heart in the perennial bed too. Broken stems from a container plant went into the ground. It's hard to believe such a soft plant can take the freezes we had this year. It's slow coming back for me, but I have seen some new growth. I want it to take over the borders when the dianthus aren't blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like perfect plant for a summer garden. Thank you for the info, Nell.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers