Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sandstorm

MIL used to call it 'dirt blowing' and it usually happens in March when fields are first plowed. Newly planted or plowed fields give up the loose sandy soil. It looks as if we're in the desert in a tan fog, as an East wind at 25 mph with gusts up to 33 blows the field behind us toward the house and the field north of us into the tree line for which our neighbors should be grateful we left.

It's been bad enough to keep us in the house this afternoon. The wind has been with us all week, but just today did the soil dry out enough to take to the air. Thunderstorms are predicted. I hope the rain reaches us.

DH was able to get the truckload of vines and overgrown shrubbery I cut yesterday hauled away. I started edging beds, with Buffy's help. (Buffy's great with trenches, but they're not exactly even.) I even attacked some Bermuda grass that had sneaked into the front bed. It came up easier than I expected. Mulch matters.

2 comments:

  1. Warm and windy here .. I am not complaining, we are in the 80's! Woo Hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's ever going to dry out enough here for that to be a problem! (Better than drought though.)

    To answer your question at my blog: I usually answer on my blog (when my brain is functioning), but some people visit the other blog to answer. A few even do both, but that's not common. I think most people answer on their own blogs, because if one person had that question, it's likely that others do too.

    I normally just answer at my own blog!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers