Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hot Summer Daylilies

At 10 am, it was 86 degrees and 76% humidity, in the shade. I was afraid to look at one of those heat index formulas. Yesterday as we left the city of Tallahassee, FL at 5 pm, it was 104 degrees.


This little daylily is a seedling that was forgotten until it bloomed.
Planted among echinacea, it picks up the gold in the coneflower centers.


Will I never learn? Those little bags with the pretty printed picture on a cardboard label always get my attention. This was supposed to be 'Romantic Rose' but the only thing I can match to any description of it is that it is a dormant cultivar. It's hard to get the true color in bright sun, but it's a pretty pale pink.

4 comments:

  1. And I thought we were hot yesterday with 92°, we did have 92% humidity which didn't help!

    This is not my favorite weather.

    I checked out the seedling My Sister and do love it. It seems I am always drawn to the pale, simpler ones....yet I look out and see deep oranges, burgundy eyes, some dark reds....at least no doubles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been extremely hot here, too. Heat indexes in the 110 degree range. I also have been very frustrated with the mislabeled plants like your daylily. I have been seduced once too often and have now sworn off them. Unless it is blooming so I can see the flower, I am not buying it. Even though it is not what you thought you were buying, that daylily is pretty.

    Jan
    Always Growing

    ReplyDelete
  3. 104 degrees? Oh no, no can do that heat ... your daylilies are lovely.

    Wonder if the one I planted will come back the same color? DD bought it for me for Mother's Day and I potted it in my container garden along with some Zinnia seed, thought the lily would come up next year, but they both are sprouting ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nell, do daylilies need high temp to bloom? I have a few "cold" hybids from Canada and I see them grow very slowly. The temp in my garden is never higher than 80.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers