Saturday, June 6, 2009

What I'm Reading

In the recent poll I had here, 'Books I'm Reading' received the most votes.

Right now I'm reading Annuals for Every Purpose by Larry Hodgson, as if I didn't already have at least one book on Annuals, the one by Ruggiero and Christopher, 2000.

The features I like best in this book are the little !Think Twice notes about plants that could be invasive or otherwise undesirable, and the sidebars that offer substitutes for different zones. For example, I learned that Fuchsias which faint and fall over in my hot, humid area, can be replaced by Firecracker Plant, something that Janie just happened to send me recently. This was in reference to hummingbird and butterfly plants, which is the way the book is organized, by use rather than alphabetically by plant name. There's an alphabetical index at the end.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a useful book. I am not reading a book right now, but will pick one up to find information on a certain topic.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers