Sunday, July 12, 2009

Shrimp Plant


Shrimp Plant, Justicia brandegeana, is named for the dark reddish bracts from which the little white flowers emerge. The plants are hardy here, but die back in cold winters. This spring, about all that were left were some stems that were dead at the top, green about halfway down. I trimmed them back and hoped for recovery, which has happened.

There is also a yellow shrimp plant, which I don't grow and Justicia betonica, White shrimp plant, which I do grow with mixed success. The white shrimps bloom well in the greenhouse, I plant them in the ground in spring, where they make huge plants that almost never have a blossom. Cuttings taken in fall bloom in late winter, so I guess they're day-length sensitive.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a pretty plant, would never survive our Lake Erie snows :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did make a splendid recovery!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers