Monday, August 3, 2009

In Flight Monday

Butterflies are plentiful. I'm seeing more Zebra Swallowtails than ever. Today there was a pair, and an extra showed up. Here's the pair. Curiously, one would disappear under the lantana when approached by the other. Maybe they sought privacy. There's a pawpaw nearby, just in case they need a host plant.


Gulf Frits were everywhere but favored Pride of Barbados, I wondered if it's because they're orange, and like orange flowers.


A crop duster flew over as I was out with the butterflies, en route to a field south of here.


I saw others, a Buckeye that wouldn't hold still for pictures, a dogface who would hold still but when they're on flowers, their wings are folded. I never get a good shot where you can see the 'poodle face' plainly.

Spicebush Swallowtails are our most plentiful, here on Pentas.
From August 2009


Here's a final Zebra, my fav, on lantana surrounded by Madagascar periwinkles.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nell,
    I am finally starting to see more butterflies other than the Monarch I've seen every day for a few weeks. I haven't had my camera out when I saw them for the most part. I think I need to just take it out when it's sunny.

    I love your photos. I thing the second one, the one with the orange flowers and the one butterfly up in the air is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still not seeing many butterflies this year.

    I see a couple and when I find the camera, they are gone and don't come back.

    I have the same plantings as years past.

    I really miss seeing them fluttering about when I am weeding or just watching.

    You caught these nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're living in butterfly heaven. That's the main reason I plant Lantana, to attract the butterflies. Not that it's worked in my yard this year. Although we are starting to see lots of Monarchs, so I should stop complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great picture of the one in flight. I love that Pride of Barbados, I have never seen that before.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers