Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pear Preserves

pears

It has rained most of the day today, so no butterfly pictures, though I did see some butterflies when I went to the mailbox.

I'm inside, making pear preserves from a bumper crop of pears. They're not the sticky, syrupy preserves of 30 years ago made with as many cups of sugar as of fruit. These are just hard pears with a scant sprinkle of sugar and a little water to keep them from sticking to the pan until they're nearly translucent, and soft.

The pears won't be canned, just spooned into freezer containers -- did you know they make plastic freezer containers now with twist-on lids? A spoonful of fruit for DH's breakfast has replaced sweet jelly of days past.

5 comments:

  1. OOOOHHH that sounds so good. It must be nice to have a pear tree that you can eat the pears. My pear tree produces but they never ripen. Fertilized and taken good care of. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Becca. that sounds so good!

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also was surprised that I did not have more people wanting pecans. I have 8 trees and there are a couple that started dropping green pecans and the insides were black. It hasn't lost all of the pecans. The other trees are loaded. I think we are in for an early fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are fortunate to have such a lovely fruit bearing tree. I wonder what kind? Growing up we had a pear tree and the pears were what we called cookers. Poached with a dollop of clotted cream on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds delicious and mouth watering. I love pears! I've recently had them in salads and on cheese sandwiches. Is it time for lunch yet? gail

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers