Friday, September 11, 2009

Deciduous Magnolias

I first noticed that the woody seed pods had opened and were dropping red seeds to the ground. Fuzzy buds for next spring's blossoms are already formed.



Then I noticed that the buds were starting to show color, and high in the tree, a bloom had opened.

Leonard Messell, a Loebner hybrid, is the magnolia that I have. In Tallahassee, FL in the spring, Dr. Merrill grows along portions of Capitol Circle, blooming snow white. These are much hardier than the evergreen magnolias that we grow here. They're planted in fall here, can be planted in spring. Further north, they are best planted in spring.

7 comments:

  1. Hello. I enjoyed reading your blog. I found your link on blotanical. I am also in zone 8b, but live in Phoenix, AZ. We grow some Magnolia trees here. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just how far north could one plant a Magnolia? I'm guessing not as far north as zone 4. You can grow so many pretty things that we can only dream about here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm seeing HGTV say that Magnolia, saucer (Magnolia x soulangiana)
    Magnolia, star (Magnolia stellata) are hardy to zone 4. I'm seeing Nurseries in zone 4 advertise Magnolia liliflora'Jane' and others. Check around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've introduced me to another Magnolia variety. It is beautiful with the flurry of a white blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 'Leonard Messel', as well as 'Jane'. I like 'Leonard Messel' the best. The blooms are magnificent. Both do well here in my NW Ohio zone 5 garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are in Maine and have a beautiful magnolia in the front yard. It looks like a saucer magnolia from comparisons to photos on the internet. The red seeds are dropping now. Does anyone know how to sprout these seeds; how deep to plant, fall or spring, whether to start in greenhouse, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Free, since your blog can't be accessed, I'll just answer here.

    http://www.ehow.com/how_4778934_plant-magnolia-tree-seed.html

    Ehow gives instructions for planting the seeds which I read elsewhere must never dry out. They didn't mention about chilling, but I would put part of the planted seeds in cold for a few weeks, just in case. Seeds that fall to the ground would get chill is my rationale. They may not need chill, though.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers