Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day September

Welcome to Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day here at Foxes Earth, home of the Seed Scatterer. Here are just a few of what's blooming here:

Datura



Lantana attracts butterflies.
Wide swaths of two colors of Lantana assures there is a nectar source always.



Lycoris radiata
September holds surprises: Lycoris radiata and Cassia alata are starting to bloom.

Cassia alata, host to Sulphur butterflies. More lycoris radiata is in the background.

Lantana, melampodium, Madagascar periwinkle persist as Crape myrtle winds down and Salvia leucantha prepares to bloom along with S. elegans and S. coccinea. Daturas are still in bloom as are Porterweeds, Tithonia and Pentas in the butterfly gardens.

Hosted by Carol at May Dreams Garden, GBBD brings gardeners together from all over, to show what's blooming on the 15th of each month.

Happy Bloom Day. I can hardly wait to see your blooms. There are other blossoms here, but I know you need to move on to see all the others. Please come back tomorrow to see the new butterfly that turned up.

18 comments:

  1. wow great post. datura and lantana are looking lovely. You have captured a beautiful butterfly. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your bed of lantana puts mine to shame. I usually have the yellow and purple but ended up with only yellow this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful garden you have and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! That second picture is a wonderland! No wonder you have so many flutterbys. And the datura is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your datura is so dramatic! Your field of lantana is a stunner, too. All your blooms look so lush and pretty. Happy bloom day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your datura looks so pretty.Don't you just love the way the butterflies flock to the lantana. Beautiful blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lycoris is also stunning. I had to zip back to see your location and "Florida" said it all. If I can grow this, it would only be in pots. Beautiful when massed as you have it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting and Happy Bloom Day! I love all your photos. And believe it or not, there is a stretch of road near my house (in the desert) where datura is growing wild. It's in full bloom right now and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nell Jean, Your garden is lovely! The lantana is spectacular and the Cassia is causing me deep feelings of envy! I'll be by to see the new butterfly! gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your yellow datura. Such a clear yellow. Did you grow it from seed? Also the cassia. I saw them selling it yesterday at the nursery but it said annual so I thought it wouldn't work right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Lycoris are stunning! I wish they were hardier. The Cassia is the perfect foil for them colorwise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thinking lycoris is a surprise lily. Yours are really cool. I had a different kind planted here, and the leaves came up, but the blooms didn't ever come up. I wonder if they will next year, or if they died.\

    Your place is looking beautiful! I love the daturas and lantanas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well the datura is beyond my hardiness but the pictures of the Lycoris are whetting my appetite for next year. I've just added them to the want list. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, it's so pretty there. How nice to have all that space to garden in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nell Jean, your Cassia is lovely. Love the gardens too and the visitors to your lovely blooms. H

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden looks huge! And it all looks like things that don't grow around here. That is one of the things that I like about GBBD - being able to very different gardens than my own.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lantana grows like crazy here in So. Nevada. "Yellow Gold" is the most popular, I assume because it does not produce viable seed. Everywhere you go, the lantana has gotten so huge that it grows over the sidewalks and covers entire beds. It's lovely and ALWAYS covered in butterflies.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers