Thursday, September 24, 2009

Colonies of Wildflowers

Here's Beautyberry, on a little hillside in the far pasture under shade of oaks. I'm seeing lots of beautyberry in other blogs, in gardens. The only beautyberries in my garden are bird-planted. It is a native plant, but becomes a thug when encouraged here, as evidenced by this huge colony.


Beautyberry berries in all their glory. In early summer, when the pale pink blooms are out, they attract butterflies.


Andropogon virginicus --  Broomsedge bluestem, and Solidago.


A colony of young Sumac underneath a Live Oak tree. Later the leaves will be on of the few bright red fall colors we see here. Deer are fond of Sumac berries. I haven't seen any berries anywhere, but we've seen plenty of deer to browse tender shoots before berries form.


Agalinus has formed a colony along the fence near the dirt road, and smaller colonies are forming throughout the pasture. Agalinus is a host for Buckeye butterflies, and I saw Buckeyes visiting but they failed to hold still for photos.

5 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed the last few posts. Thanks for the visual stimulation and information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy seeing the natural plantings. It gives me a better picture of your area. I have never been farther south than northern Arkansas!

    We do share some of the same plants.

    Do you know what kind of sumac?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are photos that remind me of Little House on the Prairie. So serene, I love the beauty berries!They are NOT edible, right?
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the purple berries on the Beautyberry bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is wild country! Those beautyberrys are an unusual pink, perhaps that is unedible pink.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers