Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What Does September Look Like?

Monday after it rained, there were mists hanging in the distance, looking very much like fall is on the way.

Tuesday when we ate in town, out the restaurant window I could see loropetalum across the street. They had the purple haze of autumn, having been pruned. I let mine grow as big as they can unless they crowd their neighbors the way the ones with the pink roses do, or as these by the crape myrtle along the driveway are prone to do, hanging over the driveway. I love the little fringes of bloom that appear late in August for a second round of blooms, not nearly so lush as the spring show, but pretty among the purple foliage.


When the temperature cools a bit, a new flush of roses delights. Here, Belinda's Dream, a cross between ‘Tiffany’ and ‘Jersey Beauty’. Don't I wish I'd planted the Salvia farinacea in the orange rose bed here, too?

3 comments:

  1. That mist is a sure sign of autumn coming. It is so surreal at times. I love the coolness. Looks like your rose does too. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nell Jean,
    I'm so glad you let your loropetalum grow naturally. They are beautiful plants but seeing them all trimmed down is not my favorite thing. The fringed bloom is so unique.
    Meems @ Hoe and Shovel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so not ready for fall, and especially winter. I keep forgetting to say I like your new header photo.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers