Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Will Edamame Replace Boiled Peanuts?

Boiled Peanuts have been a staple snack food in south Georgia for centuries. Now fancy grocery stores nearby have Edamame as an exotic snack. What’s Edamame? Green boiled soybeans. Why have we not been boiling soybeans the same as peanuts? I don’t know. We didn’t boil peanuts nor soybeans in north Georgia; we roasted our peanuts -- we said ‘parched’ -- and left the soybeans to harvest and sell on the farm market for pressing for oil, usually.

Comparing soybeans to peanuts, there is about the same number of carbs; more protein in soy, more fat in peanuts. Recent studies indicate that soybeans might have some health benefits not yet verified.

I am not fond of boiled peanuts; I prefer parched. They are a fav of Lane and the grands. I haven’t eaten boiled soybeans, though I was tempted to go out and pick some to try. I think they may have passed the young green stage where they would be tastiest. Maybe next year.

I’d like to hear from those of you who eat Edamame.

Soybeans


Field of growing soybeans. Unlike peanuts, soybeans grow above ground like any other bean or pea.


Soybeans

Cherry had a post on Peanuts, Peanuts Everywhere last week, if you'd like to see freshly harvested peanuts. Harvesting peanuts hasn't started here yet, but soon.


A field of peanuts here.

9 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful blog with lovely photos. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never eaten boiled peanuts nor boiled soybeans. Does seem that I'm reading/hearing more and more about Edamane though. Never heard of roasted peanuts referred to as parched. I like that term and think I'll start using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DH and I love boiled peanuts. You can't eat just one either. ;-) There's a place that sells them spicy and they are so yummy.

    Would love to try the boiled edamame.

    Love your pictures.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant stop calling it 'soybeans'. And I cant imagine eating boiled soybeans. Anyhow, I love boiled peanuts, have been eating them all my life.
    At the grocery yesterday I saw bags of frozen Edamame. I passed and got some snow peas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have recently been able to buy edamame - fresh soy beans - after lightly stir frying - pretty much like fresh broad beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for Faving our blog, Town Mouse and Country Mouse! I came over here to see what you're about - very nice to visit! My family loves edamame, but I'm indifferent. I have never had boiled peanuts. In Scotland where I grew up we boiled everything we didn't fry! -- except peanuts - or edamame! Sounds to me like edamame has peanuts on health points anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of edamame around here - I probably wouldn't like it, although I'll try it if I get the opportunity. I love peanuts, I like mine roasted. I also like to put salty ones in coke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fairly far removed from soybeans and Edamane, both geographically and culturally. I know soybeans offer many health benefits. It will be interesting to see how farmers react to the growing demand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like edamame just fine. Can't say I love it, but it qualifies as something I'm willing to eat! I've never had boiled peanuts, at least not that I recall. But roasted peanuts, yum!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers