Saturday, September 26, 2009

Zinnias and Cassia; Pentas and Pineapple Sage

Different areas of the garden have differing colors for fall: Cassia alata is blooming golden yellow along with mixed zinnias which were planted late. This small area has blue porterweed that came into bloom late, the Cassia (candlesticks) and my fav, the late zinnias. Not seen are some gomphrena and salvia coccinea that were seeded in when the zinnias went in, additional reds.







This last area has been a butterfly magnet with not much blooming except for 3 different shades of pentas, from rose to palest pink, and wax begonias for a little edging. Now the pinks are joined by the light crimson blooms of Saliva elegans (Pineapple sage). Leaves of the pentas and the pineapple sage are very similar in shape, so it just looked all summer as if the pentas foliage was more lush. Now red spikes of blooms are threading through the pentas. Spiky lemon grass to the back lends contrast.

12 comments:

  1. Actually this mixture of different flowers and colours makes a beautiful combination and creates a pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zinnias. The flowers retain the elegance to the end, and the bright color remains even when they dry up... Your flowers are beautiful. ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge zinnia fan too. didn't have any this year - it was a mistake.

    Re your comment on my blog - I'm afraid my cotton succumbed to drowning by the plant-sitter while I was on holiday. I did group them with other plants which prefer dry conditions, but there was everything sitting in saucers full of water when I got back ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zinnias always look like the happiest blooms in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your combination of colors here. I did not grow zinnias this year and I am def. going to next year. Beautiful shots.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I just love zinnias, they are such cheerful flowers. Hope that you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew about Cassia alata until seeing it on blogs.It has the prettiest yellow blooms. Too bad my winters are too cold for it.The butterflies, bees and hummers must like love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is screaming": It's summer yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Salvia are some of my favorite plants......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your visit to my blog. As soon as I arrived here I thought~ I know where Foxes Earth is~ I rarely visit Garden Web anymore but you left an impression! I'm still waiting for blooms from my Pineapple Sage but I love the plant habit and foliage as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your beds look cheerful and full of color! My pineapple sage is just starting to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the first time I have come across Cassia Alata and it is making me smile; it looks such a cheerful plant. The flowers look like a row of rodents up on their hind legs being inquisitive and watchful.

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers