Friday, October 2, 2009

Flower Brick Friday

Julie of  My English Country Garden
celebrates Flower Brick Friday and invited me to join her with a Flower Brick bouquet.



For my bouquet, I chose 'Radrazz' Knockout Roses and Salvia elegans (pineapple sage) which is the exact color match. I planted a bit of Pineapple Sage near one rose bush in the spring. Next year I plan to have many rooted S. elegans plants to add to all my KOs. Some pale pink pentas and purple Alternanthera for contrast completed the vase.

My focus is off, sorry. I'm adjusting to new contact lenses, the first I've worn in 20 years. Doctor believes contacts will improve my vision. Cross our fingers. Curiously, they expected that I would need reading glasses. Not so, so far.

If you are not familiar with Flower Bricks, they're a type of oblong shaped ceramic vase that has (usually) a dozen small holes and one larger opening in the center of the top that hold flowers in place.
Flower Bricks can be in other shapes, but the brick shape is the usual one. Please visit Julie and see proper Flower Brick bouquets in beautiful British Vases.

13 comments:

  1. Never seen such a clever little way to display flowers!
    My grandma would have loved having one of these for her flowers.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy seeing the surface of the vase, and that you chose large dark leaves to emphasise the delicacy of the ceramic decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. neat and creative to come up with such display of flowers.... ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your arrangement. That brick is awesome! I have a couple in my flower frog collection. I didn't know what they were called.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have enjoyed seeing yours as well.
    The flower brick looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow ... nice flower arrangement. This is the time I heard of flower brick friday though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the kind comments. You never know what you'll learn on Blotanical. I had one flower brick for years before I knew what it was called. I just called it 'that flower thing I bought in East Point at the thrift shop.'

    I hope you all visited Julie, whose idea was Flower Brick Friday and invited me to tag along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A visitor from Englishcountrygarden. Lovely colours you have used in your arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how pretty. I love the roses and pentas together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh! Pinaeapple sage, isn't it the best? I have to take it in as a cutting for the winter here in zone 7a, but once I set it out when it's warm enough, does it ever take off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had some pineapple sage. It outgrew its space. I'll have to start over. You say it grows from cuttings. Perhaps I still have some out there. I loved its blossoms. And it looks GREAT in your vase.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was very interesting for me to read the article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers