Thursday, October 15, 2009

Wildflowers on Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

Blooming in the Autumn Meadow are native grasses and wildflowers. This is one of a series of recent posts on Meadow Flowers. Agalinis is going to seed now. Goldenrod in open areas is turning more golden, more protected areas remain bright yellow. Rabbit tobacco Gnaphalium obtusifolium is in full bloom. Asters remain, and Silk Grass.


A closer look at the daisies on the header.

Collage of the asters:

Yellow asters and pale asters, and in the upper right, white Flat Topped Asters, identified by the clusters of blossoms.


Beside a Gopher Turtle's burrow, yellow Silk Grass and Eratgrostis spp. -- Purple Love Grass, not as spectacular as Muhly, but pretty when backlit by the sun.
The clay soil in the picture is not our topsoil. The gopher digs deep to form his den and brings up clay from 18-24 inches down.

A closer look at Silk Grass Pityopsis graminifolia blooms. Silk Grass is similar to Chrysopsis mariana Maryland golden aster which is shorter and has a rosette of furry, dark green leaves. Silk grass has glaucous, silvery leaves, more easily noticed than the flowers.


Rabbit Tobacco. A post featuring rabbits and rabbit tobacco is planned later. This is my favorite of the weeds of fall.


Little Bluestem in bloom.

Happy Bloom Day! Thank you for coming by on such a busy day, so many to see.

In the garden, zinnias, melampodium, mandevilla, roses, bay magnolia, Salvia leucantha, tithonia, marigolds and Gerbera daisies are among those still blooming.

Bloom Day is hosted by Carol of May Dreams Gardens blog. Do go by and add your Bloom Day post to the Links. Be sure to leave a comment for Carol. Do that before you link, so you won't forget.

24 comments:

  1. Nature plants them better. What a wonderful array of wildflowers. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nell,

    I just love wildflowers and the yellow daisies are so warm and inviting. I also enjoyed your photos of the ornamental grasses. I think that they are underused in the landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The collage is very beautiful. I could almost smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a perfect fall meadow look, Nell Jean! I love the natives you are showing and identifying for us. The Rabbit Tobacco just showed up here for the first time last year and I kept asking people if they gave it to me. I love it and guess the birds gifted it. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. Wildflowers are the best! I just bought a bluestem and it has purple colors in it. I don't see any purples on your picture. Do you have other pictures of it, I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wildflowers are wonderful...I hope to have a nice stand of the Silk Grass eventually...I understand the Gopher Turtles love to eat it, too. Have a good day~gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those wildflowers! I miss seeing wildflowers everywhere now that I no longer live in Texas. Yours were a feast for my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the kind comments.

    Frances, I'm going to write about Rabbit tobacco again soon.

    For Tatyana:
    Usually Big bluestem is expected to have the purple flower spikes and the turkey-foot seed heads. Did you buy A. gerardii, A. alomeratus, A. teranrius or A. scoparius? What I showed is just Andropogon species, native to the southeast and growing in the wild here. This is not a grass that I would plant in a garden setting, but it does look good in a meadow.

    The Andropogons take well to burning, in a meadow. Shearing to the ground before new growth in spring will work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job with this post! The collage is awesome! I'm really enjoying all the wildflowers this time of year as my own garden wanes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wildflowers are so great. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! The flush of daisies is incredible!

    Wildflowers are a funny thing here. Most of them that are native here in the desert are really short lived since in their natural habitat rainfall is scarce, so a good rain and they grow real fast, bloom and then that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those wildflowers in your place but considered rare plants in my place. I had tried planting aster so many times but they are so difficult. And those daisies are so lovely. Wish I had those wild ones for flower cuttings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The rabbit tobacco is one I don't know at all, but I can see how it could be your favorite weed. It's got a slightly unkempt wildness about it that's refreshing. It'd look great with all your other wildflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such pretty wildflowers! I really enjoy seeing the native flowers from all over. Your new header is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Nell Jean, how lovely your autumn meadow is really beautiful.

    Happy GBBD/ Tyra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man I wish I had space! Beautiful, beautiful wildflowers, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! I left an answer on my blog, but yes, mine is scoparium.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the wildflower meadow. The yellow daisies are gorgeous. Which species are those? I have been meaning to replant a wildflower meadow in the little field above our house. It'd be so much better than mowing grass.

    It's funny, my Pineapple Sage looks true red in my garden, while my Knockout looks a dark rosey pink. After reading your post I compared the flowers side by side and the colors looked exactly the same! Isn't that funny -- must be the surrounding plants affecting how the colors are perceived by the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS Are the yellow daisies Helianthus angustifolus?

    ReplyDelete
  20. How enjoyable to stroll through the meadows with you. Ours are dotted with red sumac right now, and the seeds hang on the grasses waiting for wind, birds, or animals to disperse them. Thanks.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  21. it's all so pretty...wildflower gardens are always filled with such texture and shape! thanks for the peek!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic blooms! I am just enjoying all your collages. Looking great.
    Thanks for the comment about Amaryllis. I will give it a shot, this time.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  23. Let them grow wild, the beauty is a true display of natural beauty... what it is supposed to be for zillion of years... ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers