Saturday, November 28, 2009

Last of November Flowers

Here are the rest of the pics from when I finished pulling up Madagascar periwinkles because I could not bear to see them all black and ruined when the freeze predicted for today came. I was asked about planting poppy seeds and other spring annuals. When I pull up summer annuals that are done, the soil is crumbly like chocolate cake, ready for scattering seeds for the next season. I try to scatter ahead of a predicted rain. If the ground slopes a little, I might scatter a little compost over the seeds. Otherwise, they just settle into the ground, especially tiny seeds like poppies.


Red Alternanthera made the Late Show with Salvia coccinea.
A few late melampodiums linger with Purple Heart. Dead stems mark where lilies hide and there's even a Black Eyed Susan. Those are so tough, and coming up in the paths in the upper garden.


Lantana, and Mexican Bush Sage and Crape Myrtles; see the big pile of periwinkle plants at right rear?
Mrs. Cox down on Lake Seminole told me to go out in late spring and stir the soil where periwinkles grew the previous summer and they would come up well. Instead of stirring, I pull up spent poppies and larkspur and other early annuals, which stirs just enough for periwinkles to come to the surface. If I'm doubtful of whether enough seed fell the previous fall, I scatter a few saved seeds, or some newly purchased seed if I want a new color.


The North Wind has reached us and we are almost prepared. This morning's freeze was not quite that. When I got up at 6:30, the temperature was 35 F. The sun was soon up and the day was not unpleasant.


Crape myrtle trees dance where leaves are almost gone; a few Knockout Roses persist on a bush that will need pruning in February for a big spring show. Oakleaf Hydrangea on the right has vivid color in the sun.


Vetiver Grass, African Iris, and striped Cannas with some bright foliage in the background, a little vignette of fall.

 
Pineapple sage; I have cuttings inside. Melampodium reseeds; I have begonias potted up.
The last of the vivid flowers will be gone very soon. We bought ryegrass seed to scatter for green color when grass gets frostbitten.

4 comments:

  1. The frost got us last night. Now the temperature is rising again and no freezing is expected for a week or more. I'll go out in the morning and pull some things that have finally passed on. I'll shake them a few times for next year's plants. The things I really liked, I saved seeds or took cuttings too. I'll still sow some of those seeds in containers. The majority are out there to fend for themselves this winter. I would have cleaned up today, but I'm still waiting on the really, really cold frost. The brugs were just barely nipped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Maine, we've had lots of frost and even overnight temperatures down in the teens. But in my back garden, on an otherwise brown and withered rudbeckia, there is one green stem with a flower at the end of it, still somehow hanging on. I've started to think of it as "the little flower that could"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a beautifully warm day today, so I took the opportunity to do some mulching. It's hard to believe it's the end of November. However, it could take a sharp change in direction any day now. Maybe the delay in winter weather will make the winter seem shorter!

    You've still got lots of green going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Nell Jean,
    Just stopped by to let you know there's an award waiting for you on my blog. Enjoy! Pamela

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers