Monday, November 30, 2009

Respite from the Coming Cold

The predicted freeze failed to take out lingering pretties. Butterflies came out to play again yesterday when the sun warmed the garden. I found more flowers that begged display here.


Randy of Randy and Meg's Paradise Garden put forth the possibility of butterflies getting their name from Sulphurs, who look like pats of butter, nectaring here yesterday on Lantana montevidensis.



Even a Monarch showed up, lazily flying through the garden, to nectar on the last of Salvia leucantha.

There were Gulf Frits and Dogface Sulphurs as well, mostly on the Lantana, some on Salvia coccinea.



A few zinnias hold on still. Gomphrena glows in the background, and the blue-green foliage of Bath's Pink will be a show all winter after I pull the zinnias and scatter California poppies and Larkspur.


Knockouts keep on, here pink and red.
Also in the Knockout bed are Rose de Rescht which I did not capture, and late blooms of Reine des Violettes. These have spotty foliage late in the season that needs picking off. They'll come back spotless in the spring.



The tiny red blooms of Red Cascade need more support, as the canes want to grow horizontally. I have red cedar limbs from the last pruning waiting to construct an improvisational trellis to support them.
Physotegia grows around another improvisted trellis of heart pine.



The Chicken Rose (Nacogdoches) and Butter-colored Julia Child, each with a bee.



Dogwood berries sparkle in the sunlight against the green of a young Live Oak -- young, I've been nurturing it for more than 15 years -- set off by the last foliage of a crape myrtle.

Rain predicted for tonight; cold in a couple of days. Please notice my header photo. That is as close as I could get to a Pileated Woodpecker, who flew every time I approached. His 'perk, perk,' cry I could hear across the field, as if he were laughing at my efforts. When he's on the pecan limbs, I hear a 'pock, pock' as he gathers insects.

19 comments:

  1. How lucky to have so much color and fragrance still blooming in your garden. May it linger longer for you. Beautiful photos. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love that thought, butterflies named for pats of butter like the sulphers. I envy your garden, still quite alive with creatures and flowers. I love the improvisational trellis too, such a descriptive term! We have few flowers left, the knockouts are still blooming though, what fabulous additions to any garden.

    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a treat to vidit your blog. I hunted for flowers this weekend also. I love the pics.

    jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great color and variety in your garden, am I to assume they are all from seed? I also live in rural SE Georgia, along the coast, I am hoping I can create this in my yard as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at the pretty roses still in bloom. Glad the freeze did not get them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pileated woodpecker. The silhouette is true to their stately beauty. More time with the flowers. I am really glad for you. And still butterflies. You are lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, Frances, Jim and Lona, thank you for visiting to see the remaining blossoms, and commenting.

    Mary Delle, you should have seen me on the trail of the woodpecker. He knows how to hide on the back side of a huge limb and climb steadily upward while I try to locate and focus. Comical.

    Luv2garden, the term seed scatterer is indefinite, not meant to imply that everything here grows from seeds. The Lantana, Salvia leucantha, Bath's Pink Dianthus and Physotegia grew from divisions. I bought one plant of all but the Obedient plant which was a pass-along. Salvia coccinea, Zinnias, Gomphrena were from saved seed. Roses were purchased.

    You may be surprised, but the dogwood, oak and crape myrtle were seedlings. Trees are frequently as easy to grow from seeds as flowers.

    Seed Scatterer is a term that fits me as Grandmother does. I save seeds, take divisions, strike cuttings, divide and plant bulbs, all in the name of propagation, just as my female sobriquet may be Grandmother, Mother, Sister, Niece or Aunt, among others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nell Jean,
    I enjoyed your blooms and butterflies. Thanks for your very nice comment on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is still so alive and beautiful! We've had a frost or two and there are a few survivors, but not like the beauties begging to be displayed in yours. I see you have Cascade Rose~~some critter ate mine down to nothing...I sure hope it recovers. It does seem to want to grow horizontally...I wonder if it wants to climb a wall or fence? gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to see some butterflies in my garden this time of year. Living in zone 6 that won't happen, but I can certainly enjoy pics of your!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite is the Lantana. We usually lose ours in early January with our first hard freeze.

    I am always so happy when the Lantana leafs out again in March and the butterflies soon return.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the photo of the woodpecker is quite artistic, and congrats on the monarch butterfly. You really do still have some lovely flowers blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden stills look very colorful. I like all your roses. I cannot grow them well 'cause they always get black spots on their leaves and drop :-(.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nell, Oh yeah...you live in Georgia, no wonder you've still got so much life in your garden!!

    My Knock Out is still at it too. What a fabulous rose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many colours so late in year! I have only shades of gray and brown...
    I love those zinnias!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the shot of the Pileated Woodpecker. We have one now and then working on the trees in the front yard. I got a good shot of him with the zoom. They are magnificent birds.

    I am still amazed at how much green and blooming you still have.

    I think of you every time I look at my improv trellis. I had a couple of limbs laying on the ground and a nearby morning glory trying to climb up the fence....just propped the limbs and voila, had a trellis for the mg.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Neil Jean,
    I looked closely at you first photo it appears to be a female Cloudless Sulphur. I seemed to missed the knockout rose craze. I see them everwhere these days, to be honest the old heirloom roses would still be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't seen many butterflies around here lately, I think they've moved on. The zinnias and other flowers look great, holding on until the end. I was camping in the Smokey Mountains several years ago and a great big pileated woodpecker landed in the camp ground. This was before I had a digital camera so it's hidden in a box somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI: LIZA AND JOHN’S GARDEN enjoyed our visit to your blog. So much still blooming and colorful.
    Nice shot of the Pileated Woodpecker.
    It's always a pleasure to visit Secrets of a Seed Scatterer.
    Have a Great Day,
    John

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers