Thursday, December 3, 2009

Tuck an Herb Garden Anywhere

Diana asked for a closer view of the herb garden's mid-feature, which I call the 'faux fountain.' After a search I located more views of the herb garden from its earlier days. Some things are best viewed through vaseline glass, but here you are, we're among friends.


Updating, the culinary sage has died out and needs more grown from seed.
Thyme remains and Oregano, not shown, is good.
Parsley was relocated away from the birdbath for safety of caterpillars. Rosemary has grown bigger than everything else. Lots of Echinacea; Dianthus persists.

Everything is covered now in a blanket of pine straw, as in the pic at left, from last week.

calendula

rosemary,parsley
herbs












The 'faux fountain' is simply a lamp base set on a plinth made of a stepping stone. Blue glass stones represent water. At the corner of the area is the stone birdbath that is one of my favorites, a bit of bamboo disguises the old hose that drips into it from a nearby faucet. At one time the 'faux fountain' had a Murex sea shell set into the hole to represent bubbling water, but the dog discovered it. Some decorative items in the garden went into hiding until the dog matures. The pic at right is recent.

Photobucket

I tucked it into a space of 14x14' that has a little slope. A brick path divided it into four quadrants. and a brick circle further defined the quadrant areas. As with every garden, it has evolved over time. Now it begs renovation. I started on the paths last spring. Like every gardener, I have big plans for many of the paths, come spring.

20 comments:

  1. I think that is the first time I have heard about the herb garden.

    I like it just as it is....looks like it has been there a long time.
    Which are the things I appreciate the most! I wonder why...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your herb garden Nell. I too like the ancient look of it. I also understand wanting to renovate, it happens to all of us.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely herb garden! I’m planning to have an herb raised bed next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos remind me of the circle herb garden I developed at a former home. I used a sundial on a bird bath stand for the center point, surrounded that with thyme, and placed other herbs in one of the 4 outer sections. I made sure the paths were wide enough for the lawnmower and kept them grass. Thanks for pulling up these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super beautiful and Lovely herb garden Nell!.....it is my most sacred space in the garden..it was lovely to see yours! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nell, I love your faux fountain - beatiful, clever, and tongue-in-cheek funny. And the herb garden is beautiful (I especially love that April 2007 photo). Maybe this will inspire me to move beyond that pathetic little strip of herbs between the foundation and the back walk that is my excuse for an herb garden. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nell, I love your faux fountain - beatiful, clever, and tongue-in-cheek funny. And the herb garden is beautiful (I especially love that April 2007 photo). Maybe this will inspire me to move beyond that pathetic little strip of herbs between the foundation and the back walk that is my excuse for an herb garden. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always interesting to see bigger parts of gardens, not just some separate plants. Thanks for showing your herb garden Nell! Your use of an old lamp is genius! If I was so inventive, I wouldn't give my two blue lamps to ramage. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the design of this! Good job!
    I am into faux, way easier to maintain.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great use of the lamp base Nell Jean! I would never have thought of that but it creates the perfect illusion. What a beautiful herb garden you've created. I want to work on some paths in my garden next spring too. Let's hope I can actually do the work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did anybody notice that I have trouble with right and left? I fixed it now.

    I like faux water features, they're so much easier. The real water really needs to be available for wildlife in the garden, not for show.

    I like broad views, too, Tatyana.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stand by my first opinion, now I can see more. It looks magical!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the faux fountain! So creative! Can't wait to see what you have planned for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nell Jean,

    Your faux fountain is so creative!

    I love that you pointed out that you don't need a lot of space to plant a garden. I may need to plant an herb garden this spring....

    ReplyDelete
  15. My herb garden is a lot of mint and a few less invasive plants in a boring raised bed. Your herb garden is so tranquil and looks like it has been there forever! You have inspired me to rethink mine. Pamela
    PS Thanks for putting a link to my post in your sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the lay out of your herb bed. Is there a place to sit nearby? The setting is so tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your ideas in your herb garden: the faux fountain and the sectioned circle, just fantastic. And I love your re-purposing of the lamp. How creative!

    I saw a lot of gardens similar to this in Great Britain. You have definitely captured the look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved your herb garden, Nell Jean. It has a sense of permanence and patina that gives it character. The faux fountain is charming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the paths dividing the garden, both visually and practically. My herb garden is a pile of plants that I have to crawl through when I want marjoram or rose geranium for the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm trying to remember if I've seen your herb garden. I love it the way it is, too. Your faux water feature is awsome! Did I see campions in the garden?

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers