Sunday, February 21, 2010

More Improvisational Carpentry - Rose Arbor

Photobucket

The  Stick Arbor seemed like a good home for 'Red Cascade' rose when I planted it. I didn't know that Red Cascade prefers to grow horizontally along the ground like a groundcover rather than climbing an arbor. The rose can be encouraged to grow as a climber with hard encouragement.


It was cold and windy earlier this week but in a warm coat and goatskin gloves against the cold and  rose thorns, Buffy and I undertook to corral that Red Cascade. We put two extra uprights to the west of the Stick Arbor and then made cross pieces by wedging them in and around the uprights, using the crosspieces to lift the rose canes as we went.

Since I have Buffy, everything takes twice as long, because Buffy helps carry tools, carries wood.  Digging post holes is precarious, because Buffy may undertake digging too or remove the soil as it is being returned to the hole. You have to love a willing helper. See her in the distance?



Improvisational carpentry need not be elaborate nor complicated. A simple stucture of rebar and redbud weavers tied with twine supported cypress vine in the summertime.
The butterfly is brass.
The foliage on the left is Tete a Tete daffodils, to the right ebony spleenwort and in the background, rosemary. My rosemary rarely blooms.


Summer view of the cypress vine trellis, stick house in background.

12 comments:

  1. The carpentry work is simple and yet is able to add to the character of the place..... ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just look at Buffy running free out there. She's taking a break from carrying the tools and wood and dirt digging. How many acres do you have NellJean?

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 'rambling' rose as well. And I'm not sure how I'm going to support it this year. My husband took down the fence it was lightly supported on, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your carpentry is so pretty with the natural trellis and the blooms. Very pretty and I think Buffy likes where she lives! She has 'A Lot' of space to run around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just got to try some of this in my woods beds. I think it would look so natural there too. I just love your rambling roses and long bed of beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your improvisational carpentry, its simple and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I just opened my mouth and suddenly saw that Melanie said exactly what I was going to say. Simple and wonderful! Nell Jean, how did you attach rebars to each other?
    I used to have a cypress vine in my previous garden. Most of my visitors never saw it before. I love this plant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are 'redbud weavers'? That rustic charm is tactile and enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tatyana, rebars are pounded into the ground here. The weavers are flexible branches cut from redbud sprouts. there are some redbud trees here that I cut to the ground. When long whips grow out, instant weavers! Willow would work as well.

    Because the rebar uprights were so far apart for the cypress trellis, I fastened the weavers in place with knotted garden twine to make sure they didn't slip down. I don't know if I can find a pic of that. They've weathered to a point of needing replacing now as this will be their third year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's a post from 2008 that shows the joints tied with twine.

    Wattle trellis

    ReplyDelete
  11. NellJean,
    Neat idea using the natural wood as a trellace. It makes an simple unpretentious support for the plants that blends in perfectly with your farm.
    I can relate to doing projects with the dog around. Whenever I dig anything my little terrier attacks the dirt before it hits the ground.Must be great dog fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes indeed. I see the handiwork of a recip saw...

    Most excellent.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers