Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Step Back in Time

I located a CD with older photos that haven't been on my blog. It is important to look back sometimes and see what has grown, what has disappeared, or what is still struggling and may need removing.

In 2003 I planted a long stream of daffodil bulbs, starting uphill with jonquilla 'Sweetness' and changing to the tazetta 'Martinette' as I came downhill. According to the experts, Martinette was ideal for my climate. Within about three years, they had disappeared. Sweetness has done quite well and has an occasional bud opening to show what lies in store for March.

Martinette with scattered muscari, 2004.
Muscari has performed poorly in this garden,
even the cultivars like starch hyacinth, recommended for the south.


Sweetness in the foreground, above.



At the end of the daffodils, 'Queen of Night' tulips did very well that year.
That was one of the last years that tulips were happy here.
Maybe it was that the gardener got tired of the chilling involved and
the possiblity of voles and tulip fire ruining the plan.
This year would have been fine without chilling, I think.




Daffodils look very promising this year. Some of the yellow large cupped have buds, a few  have open buds. Some of the later cultivars are just peeping out of the ground. Besides Martinette: Fruit Cup, St. Kerverne, and Quail have mostly disappeared. Places where I've planted mixed daffodils, some have persisted very well, but I can't verify all their names.

Reliable performers here include Ice Follies, Thalia, Juanita, Erlicheer,  Sailboat, Ice Wings, Jack Snipe, Hawera and Tete a Tete, to name a few. 

Factors like sunlight, drainage, lack of rainfall and nutrition may have cause some losses. There are some Little Gem blooming now that did much better after  I moved them over into the sunshine.  Minnow can be petulant, usually blooming after I dig and move them again.

Tete a Tete, 2004. They're just coming up now.

I'm looking forward to every bloom.
What daffodils are you expecting in your garden, come Spring?


11 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing this years blooms and comparing them to these photos. All our spring bulbs are behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, daffodils and tulips! Brings back memories of my old Atlanta garden, where I had huge beds of spring-blooming daffodils. Tried tulips there many times, but they never lasted more than a couple years. (Wasn't about to dig and refrigerate!) Can't grow either where I live now.

    Thanks for sharing those cheery photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nell Jean, I'd meant to plant daffodils in the lawn for this spring and didn't get it done. Any varieties you'd recommend for that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love daffodils. Our house here had NONE! That is, until last fall. I planted 140 Dutch Master to start with, and to my surprise, they've all come up, and are just now starting to bloom! Next fall I hope to add a lot more, of one or two different varieties, just to help extend my daffodil season. Yours from years past by the way look simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring arrives in golden drifts in your garden. It is beautiful. Unfortunately Daffodils do not well in my garden. The only one growing is Earlycheer. I planted tete a tete but it has not done well. No daffodil plantings any more in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Daffodils - such a cheery site after a long winter! King Alfreds are a favorite of mine. A good-sized naturalizer. Pheasant Eyes are another one that gets me loads of compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have the King Alfreds. I'd love to try some other varieties though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love daffodils, and it is so lovely to see that curving path of yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ribbon of daffs is beautiful.

    I planted about 150 new daffodil bulbs last fall, in 3 varieties. One is Thalia, one might be Sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How pretty. It sure mad a beautiful display.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thalias are so lovely, but Peeping Toms are pretty wonderful as well. I picture them being in the rose garden from Alice in Wonderland with their long, yellow noses.
    Garden history is fascinating, isn't it? My memory can't serve me as well as good photos!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers