Saturday, March 13, 2010

Daffodil Friends and a Trickle of Muscari

Come, let me introduce you to my Daffodils. Juanita, Carlton, Ice King and the others would like to meet you and be your friends too. Some await warmer weather before coming out to visit, but many of them are happily blooming since March came in like a lamb.

Trumpets are the daffodils that most of us know, the big yellow blossoms that herald spring. Some have both perianth and trumpet in brightest yellow; some have white petals and a yellow cup, some have an orange cup. All are beautiful. I stopped worrying about the names of the big daffodils and just plant bags of mixed daffodils intended for southern gardens without worry. 


Mixes usually have both Trumpets and Large Cups. The difference is in the length of the cup. Among my favorite Large Cupped daffodils are Juanita and Ice Follies. Carlton is one that is most often sold among the large Cups and recommended for the south.

Large Cups yet to bloom in my garden include Pink Charm and Salome.

Double Daffodils in bloom now include Ice King, a sport of Ice Follies, and Erlicheer. If the weather is too warm, Ice King may sometimes revert to the single Ice Follies. After the extended cold in February, Ice King is beautifully doubled.


 Erlicheer blasted in 2009 when February was unusually warm as the buds formed. They dried up and died in the perianth. This year they're making a great show, if a bit late. Double Tahiti is formng buds.

I'm showing the littles together that are blooming now. The Cyclamineus Jetfire, well named because of the orange cup and very reflexed petals is one of my faves. It first blooms yellow and I have it planted with some little Tete a Tetes so I can tell which is which. Tete a Tete has no classification. It is a prolific grower here.



Little Gem and Topolina are miniature Trumpets, both early bloomers; Sweetness is a Jonquilla.

Yet to bloom are Jonquillas: Hillstar, Sailboat and tiny Baby Moon.

None of the triandrus here are blooming yet: Thalia, Ice Wings and Hawera.


The heirloom Tazetta that we call Narcissus is blooming, as are rescued forced paperwhites.
The double heirloom that may be Van Sion has buds.
Both were here before I was.

Planting both early and late cultivars extends the daffodil season.

I've always aspired to a River of Muscari just like the photos at Keukenhof. I finally settled for a Trickle, which has dwindled to a few drops. I've tried different cultivars, including starch hyacinths. It just isn't going to happen, my River, not even a tiny Stream.

But Look! Those are seedlings of Larkspur behind the Muscari!







20 comments:

  1. Lovely flowers and photos!

    I need to find more places for daffodils here. I have only one late-blooming variety scattered in the large deer resistant gardens. I should plant them around the edges of the woods. At a previous home, I planted daffodils in with my daylilies - and the daffs took over the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet all your daffy friends, Nell Jean. A few of ours are starting to stick their noses up where the snow has receded, but it will be a while yet. You mention Thalia, which I have, and which is very late for us. I'll be seeing her in May, and right into June! But I love having daffs and narcissus later than others, and they last longer here because of the cool springs. Love that you've settled for a 'trickle' of muscari rather than a river--they look lovely in either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've only green leafy promises to look at now - your pix are a lovely preview of things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NellJean,
    You have some great looking Daffodills there and an even better memory for remembering all their names.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear NellJean, Your garden most certainly does come alive after a winter of repose at this time of year. It must be such fun to go out each day to see what is blooming for the first time.

    It has to be said that your River then Stream then Trickle,and now Drop, of Muscari is somewhat disappointing. I have never known them behave in this way - quite the reverse in fact. Could it be that something is eating them?

    Keep with the golden rays of daffodil sunshine. They are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great daffodil collection! Real inspiration for me to plant more in my garden. I'd like to have more cream colored ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edith, the bulbs are not being eaten -- this is not a hospitable climate for them, validated by Floridata. I suspect that they'd like a more neutral soil than mine as well. There are many other bulbs that do well here. I am gradually coming to end planting the impossible.

    Cameron, I looked closely at how the New York Botanical Garden planted their daffodil and daylily walk. There was a wide space between. I tried that in the yellow rose bed last year. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nell Jean, I think you've convinced me. I really do need to diversify my daffodil collection this next fall. The problem is, there are so many wonderful varieties to choose from! Although I love the look of your Erlicheer. Our daffs have been blooming for the past few weeks, but our Muscari is only just starting to show itself. No river or even a trickle here, just a few puddles I think. Not sure it's happy here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi;
    First off, I had to giggle at your 'I am not following you on Twitter' statement in right column. Too many ways to talk these days...

    Next up, your latest poll is inspiring me to plant more spring blooming shrubs I don't have nearly enough...

    And, last but not least, I dearly loved your photos. Daffies are such cheery flowers and you have quite a pretty collection.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Nell you have quite the collection. I love the double blooms on your Erlicheer. So pretty.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Lona

    ReplyDelete
  11. NelleJean: You have lots of variety of beautiful Daffodils in your garden! Love the Erlicheer and Ice King the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nell, Even in little trickles and drops, rather than a stream, the muscari are lovely. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many kinds of daffodils !
    Now I'm waiting to see mine pop up...should be more creative like you and have more varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it wonderful when they finally show their yellow heads again? Somehow, only one kind seems to really thrive for me, but enough to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beautiful daffodils, and I love the wee grape hyacinths, in any quantity. So cute. :)

    Your newest poll is wonderful. Love the poetic style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. NellJean this was wonderful !
    I love these beautiful bulbs and have some of the older cultivars with plain yellow, but large flower heads ? I'm sorry I don't know the name .. I have had them for a few years and they never fail me : )
    If I had to choose only one kind of Spring bulb , they would be it : )
    I also love the side bar reasons why your plants die ? too funny : ) made me have a good laugh this morning .. thank you !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  17. P.S.
    I was laughing too much when doing that poll : ) does that count ? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like how've presented these photos. Such a pleasure to view them like this. Hope you remember to show us Tiny Moon when it's blooming. Luv that name.

    Our daffs are late to bloom, but will be around until June. I'm a fan of the white daffodils.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty collection of daffodils! I love Erlicheer. I have my first few blooming now. This is the first year that I actually got flowers from them.
    Muscari on the other hand is going crazy in my yard, but even a trickle is great. They are such sweet little flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the poetic poll and your daffies too Nell Jean! My daughter and I just purchased some Ericheers to go in very soon, so hopefully I will have some photos to share when our late winter/early spring rolls around!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers