Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ice Cream Colors In the Garden

When I sorted my latest Hyacinth pics, I thought they looked like the colors of icy desserts. When I looked at the names of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream online, I was amused to find many names that are puns: Jamaica Me Crazy, Cherry Garcia, Imagine Whirled Peace, Berried Treasure; Berry, Berry Extraordinary. None of my Hyacinths have such delightful names, but they still remind me of tasty treats.



One year I bought mixed hyacinths and sorted the bulbs by color. You can't really tell the true color, but the reddish bulbs will be pink or lavender or magenta. Bulbs with a darker cast will be purple or blue and the palest tan bulbs will be yellow or white.  That year I ended up with pink, lavender and the lovely apricot Gypsy Queen planted together and they were fortunately all later blooming.


Gypsy Queen, Pink Pearl and Top Hit
Also later blooming hyacinths are pale yellow City of Haarlem and Blue Jacket. China Pink have remained in bloom for a long time.


The extended cold we complained of in February had a positive effect on hyacinths. Stems are longer and florets bigger. The fragrance is as delightful as ever. I'm glad I gave up tulips for hyacinths and kept daffodils. As hyacinths wane, late daffodils take up the show, followed by azaleas and dogwood. The very first white azalea blossoms are open in a sheltered area.

19 comments:

  1. Those are some great names. Love your hyacinths. I did the same thing in my Atlanta garden. Tulips just didn't work (not cold enough? IDK), but hyacinths and daffodils put on quite a show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also call these Easter Egg colors! Very pretty. Can't have too many hyacinths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever post! Love the various shades. I have just pinks and blues. When I recently planted some, I put 2 pinks with a blue in one place, 2 blues with a pink someplace else, and then some groups of all pink or all blue...just kind of a big mix. I can see the colors of the flowers now and can't wait until they all bloom. My tulips are doing ok, except for the ones on the opposite side of the tree by the house. The critters ate those, or at least chomped them down, but didn't touch the ones on the side of the tree closest to the house. At least I'll have a show from my vantage point, even though they won't be seen from the street. I'm still waiting on my daffodils to open up, although the neighbors on both sides of me have some blooming now. Mine must be late bloomers, and catch the sun differently in their current locations. But I'm not going to move them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, don't move them, just plant more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love surprises in the garden in terms of wondering exactly what color a plant's flower will be. I love the pastel colors of your Hyacinths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your hyacinths! We can't grow them here because it doesn't get cold enough so I must admire them in others' gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nell ~ I just love your hyacinths. What delightful spring colors and they have a scent too. You are blessed. Enjoy them for me while you are out among them. I always love seeing what's blooming in your gardens.

    Happy Spring ~ Happy Gardening

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, I learned something new from your post today. I didn't know that you could sort of tell the colour of the flowers by the hyacinth bulbs! I always hesitate to buy mixed bags of anything, because I know I'd end up with mostly the colour I like the least. That happened with my crocuses LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nell Jean, I love the bulbs of hyacinth...There is much beauty in their papery skin and a promise of what's to come. Lovely blooms~Have a sweetly scented weekend~gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. I noticed some azaleas blooming while in town yesterday. The ones in my gardens are a bit slower to bloom then the ones I see elsewhere. I wonder if they will be on time for the Masters? I WILL give up on tulips and go with more daffys and hyacinth as well. Loving this weather now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very lovely bloomings and the colors! Especially love that blue jacket, China pink and City of Haarlem. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They make me want all the flavors just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They do have pretty pastel colors. I wish I could smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really glad to see a post dedicated to hyacinths. I love these flowers. although they do not survive our harsh summers but their scent and flower colors specially the purple one is superb. yours are looking so pretty, just irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sherbet, I'd say! These are beautiful blooms. I only wish I could smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Though I am allergic to dairy and cannot enjoy ice cream anymore ... I do love your beautiful Hyacinths!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've just recently discovered hyacinths, i.e. discovered that I like them. They smell so luscious and have that hothouse look although they are hardy even after a cold winter. Yours are particularly lovely. Hope mine hold up despite the voles, although I've heard they like tulip bulbs the best. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are cool names, and pretty spring blooms.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers