Thursday, May 6, 2010

Erigeron, A Wildflower for all Gardens?

Fleabane is a common native plant. A bit of research showed this lowly plant to be native to most of the US. Further research finds Erigeron all over the world in warm climates, either native or naturalized. USDA Plant Files revealed almost 200 identified species. A xeriscape plant, there are perennial and annual varieties.


Erigeron spp. 5/5/2010
 
As I searched to see where this plant is native, I found it native to most of the US if not all, perhaps introduced and naturalized in Hawaii. Many countries it is either introduced centuries back, or native. Some of the names I found for various Erigeron species:
 
Jin Long Dan Cao
simonillo
zacachichic
venadillo
Berufkraut

harujoon
vergerette du Canada
impia
saeppola
himemukashiyomogi

canadeese fijnstraal
avoadinha
kanadabinka
himejoon
zomerfijnstraal

Is Erigeron known to you?
 
I found the following paper to be very informative about the uses of Erigeron in folk medicine of various countries and the possibility of new cures. When we get to chemical composition and cellular level, my eyes may glaze over. It is a very interesting thesis.
 
Thesis on Erigeron canadensis (synonym Conyza canadensis LINN.)
 
Then I found this presentation by Rufino Osorio on Horticultural and Ecological Roles of Common Wildflowers in Home Landscapes presented to the Florida Native Plant Society in 2009.

FNPS-2009

There are two Erigerons in the above slideshow and many other plants that some of us grow.

What started out as a few words about some pics I took yesterday almost became a Slow Blog post.

12 comments:

  1. Fleabane seems to find a way into my flowerbeds every spring.I usually pull it out but it is hard not to at least leave a few of the little daisy looking bloomers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool to explore the medicinal and edible native plants. There is not a lot of research as nature can't be patented to make money. Lots of folks had this knowledge in the past as there were no drugstores or grocery stores to run too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After our tenants left, found this in the garden. Visiting New Zealand cousin looked at it in subdued horror, murmuring 'invasive alien' But I did like those delicate flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We know Erigeron karvinskianus very well here in Oz. Here it is usually sold in the nurseries as 'Seaside Daisy' and it's very invasive. It will take over garden beds as quick as a wink ... still a beautiful groundcover though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it and use it in many of my garden beds for filler. We call it Santa Barbara Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nell Jean, There's always an erigeron or two volunteering in my garden. It's pretty enough that I usually let it stay for a visit. Wish I could pronounce himemukashiyomogi... what a big name for a wee daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty photo - a sea of Fleabane. A sea of Berufkraut has an interesting sound to it.

    Thanks for your thoughts on my mystery flower. I think instead of henbit it is purple/red deadnettle. It's a member of the mint family and we know how that spreads. But the butterflies and hummingbirds like it, so...what to do?

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. The field of fleabane is lovely! There are many "weeds" which the Native Americans used for for medicine and other purposes. Thanks for an informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love this flower and have grown it before. There is just something about it's sunny little face surrounded by white petals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen lovely uses of erigeron in gardens in Europe. It's on my list--when I figure out where it would fit into my garden!

    Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, it's known to me and we get a lovely crop of it in the lawn in very early spring. Of course, the lawn police don't think it's supposed to grow there but I'm sure they think it's pretty nonetheless!

    I loved catching up on all the pretty things happening in your garden and I think your birdbath is neat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here in Kent it grows along the edges of paths and in dry brickwork - I have never seen it in the lawn though, we just have the common daisy Bellis perennis in our heavy clay. We call this the Spanish Daisy.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers