Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Flight of Ideas: Butterflies and Daylilies

Daylilies are blooming here and there are so many to show. When I went back out for the last pics, butterflies were diving in the daylilies. Tiger Swallowtails are back. So, I will try to show just the very best of the best and most interesting.

Photobucket
Male Tiger Swallowtail on 'Salmon Sheen'


Photobucket
Female Tiger Swallowtail

Photobucket
Female Tigers are easier to identify by their undersides.

Of maybe 100 pics, there are usually a handful of butterflies that didn't fly at the last moment. Once when I was trying to get the female Tiger, she flew right up in front of my face on a coneflower.  Naturally at that distance she was out of focus.

Now to the rest of the daylilies.
Photobucket
'Dominic' is the darkest in my garden.


Photobucket
Byzantine Emperor

Photobucket
Elysian Field, a great pale yellow.

Photobucket
This is either Superlative or Kent's Favorite II.
They look so much alike I can never remember.

Photobucket
This is my own daylily, from seed collected in someone's garden.

Flowers and text from the garden of Nell Jean at http://www.blogger.com/www.seedscatterer.blogspot.com in the hot, humid depths of Southwest Georgia USA where Gardenia fragrance now fills the garden along with Magnolias.

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous pix of the swallowtails! They look great with your beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NeanJean,
    Lovely day lilies, several remind me of ones I got at the Raleigh Farmers market over 10 years ago. Most of the swallowtails I see in day lilies are the roadside day lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love the butterflies...beautiful Day lilies

    ReplyDelete
  4. The butterflies are showing up here, too. Your daylily from seed is stunning!

    I noticed your comment on gardenia...our fragrance garden is almost overwhelming right now as the gardenia 'August Beauty', the magnolia virginiana, and star jasmine are blooming at the same time. Out in the meadow, the big Southern Magnolia is blooming, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daylilies and butterflies are all lovely, especially the one you grew from seed. Looks like 'Ed Brown'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here I am marveling at your butterflies once again Nell-Jean! Those swallowtails are magnificent and I love the one having a little sip at the coneflower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am completely mesmerized by the exquisite beauty of those photographs. You captured the perfect shot. The flowers and butterflies are looking very beautiful together.
    -shan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pictures - I especially love the first one of the swallowtail diving in! I was able to get some good shots of a tiger swallowtail on a pagoda dogwood last weekend - but not in my own yard. I haven't seen many butterflies at home yet. I've not noticed them around the daylilies before, but my daylilies aren't where I can see them from the porch or the deck.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers