Friday, May 21, 2010

Herbs in Your Garden?

Do you have an Herb Garden, Herbs in Containers or Herbs tucked around in flower beds?
The sidebar features a Poll on Herbs that you may have in your garden. Please check all that you have.


I need not tell you of the joys of having fresh herbs available for cooking and other uses. Wonderful sites online and books abound with advice for creating an herb garden and using the bounty.

Because of the birdbath in the corner of my official Herb Garden, I tucked my parsley into beds where caterpillars have a better chance of survival. I stuck an oregano plant in with some perennials because I had the cutting handy. I'm about to pull up an old rosemary plant that is now in the way. Plenty of younger rosemary bushes from cuttings surround the Herb Garden.





Lavender in the the garden of Nell Jean at http://www.blogger.com/www.seedscatterer.blogspot.com is wilting in the hot, humid depths of Southwest Georgia USA where Mediterrean plants tend to faint when the humidity and the temperature reach the nineties. Join us in a glass of iced Ruby Tea, dark and barely sweet with a sprig of Mint or a leaf of Pineapple Sage.

Selected Herbs included in the Poll are from a list of Herbs to Plant in May from Garden Guide for Austin & Vicinity, published by the Travis County Master Gardener Association, copyright 2000-2002.

12 comments:

  1. Are mints herbs or just mints?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize just how many I had until I completed the poll. I actually have a couple of others too....cilantro, peppermint and spearmint and does dill count? Anyway, most of mine have been in my garden for years. They reseed themselves. I don't actually use them much - except for the basil. I make pesto and freeze it in cupcake cups and use it often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The South Texas Unit of the Herb Society of America says, "No herb is more widely known than the fragrant mint."

    If you follow the link, you can learn how mint became the symbol of Hospitality.

    My polls seldom have every item in a category listed. That way we can talk about the ones I left out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I'm so excited about herbs these days. I just started some adorable containers on my kitchen windowsill. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to add more herbs to my garden. This spring I planned on adding Dill & Parsley but missed my window of opportunity. Oh well there is always next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm learning about herb gardening. And so far I've learned three things:
    1) I don't know very much about herbs,
    2) It doesn't seem to matter,
    3) Food tastes WONDERFUL with herbs from the garden!
    This was a fun post. I really enjoyed it
    Patricia :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a few more than I thought too. Some in pots (spearmint to keep it from taking over) and some in garden beds. I'm planning to plant many more come spring to share with the bees and the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have spearmint in a pot on my patio table, and rosemary and lavender in my gardens. I love when it rains, sitting in the covered porch, the lavender scent wafts through....what a gorgeous smell :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me realize I have more herbs that I thought. Some I just grow for the ornamental value but are herbs.
    These are the ones not in your list.

    Feverfew
    Garlic (is this an herb?) I put it in my herb bed.
    Dill
    hyssop (I think)
    Cilantro (the seeds are what we call coriander)
    Lemon balm (like mint in its spreading tendencies so planted in front ditch) Still trying to get it out of flower beds.

    I want to replace my rosemary and oregano and a mint. They will all go in tubs! The mint and oregano almost took over the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a lot of herbs in my garden, and I have found that you learn a lot when you grow them. I think I will post about my herbs and link back to here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've fallen in love with herbs, and I tuck them everywhere, in pots, in with flowers, in among the flagstones in the patio. As plants die out, I am replacing them with more and more herbs; I can't get enough. I'll go take the poll...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just planted some herb seedlings yesterday - fennel, dill, sage, & thyme - as well as a purchased lemon grass. I already had rosemary, spearmint, peppermint, St. John's Wort, bee balm, oregano, and lavender. I have a bed devoted almost exclusively to herbs, but also have some scattered around with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers