Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mayhaws, Prized Fruits for Making Jelly Updated

Mayhaws are ripe! Some think they make the best jelly in the world. A ripe Mayhaw (Crataegus opaca)tastes like a tart, delicious apple. The problem with eating them raw is that the seed is large and the flesh is very thin so you hardly get a bite.



I helped my friend pick enough to make jelly for her favorite son-in-law. It took a while. When the fruits are dead ripe, they can be shaken off the tree onto a tarp. These are still firmly attached so we picked them one by one, a slow process.

The color shines in the sunlight. Duckweed was everywhere, even in the edge of the water in the pond. We were able to drive the RTV up close to make little paths. He-who-mows was afraid of miring the tractor so he didn't try to mow.



Mayhaws were blooming on April first. Five weeks later they're ready to pick. Happy Mother's Day.

8 comments:

  1. I used to eat mayhaw berries when they are ripen. Never thought about making jelly from them! In Russia, mayhaw berries are valued for their medicinal properties. Thanks for writing about this plant Neal Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have ever eaten them. I do prize the wild plums that I pick to make jelly of. Not so good for eating, but they make fantastic jelly.

    I need to see if I can find some of these mayhaw berrys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of mayhaws before. Thank you very much for enlightening me on this fruit. Making jelly? this is new too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a mayhaw. I think I'd like it. Wonder what the jelly tastes like. This is what I like about blogging, learning new things everyday. Thanks.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Nell-Jean, I've not heard of Mayhaws either, so I'll have to do some research to find out if they are even grown over here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NeilJean,
    Ok I have never heard of mayhaws, let along jelly made from them. Guess I'll have to look for the jelly. Great and interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nell Jean, I have heard of mayhaws but never tasted them. You have peaked my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of mayhaws or duckweed, but that's why I enjoy your blog. Always something new to me. Lovely photos -- hope the SIL enjoys the jelly.

    donna

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers