Friday, May 28, 2010

Purple, Orange and Chartreuse -- What a Palette!

I first thought of chartreuse in the garden when I read that Valerie Easton used chartreuse, deepest purple, palest yellow and all shades of orange from pale to dark together in her garden. I immediately commenced to do that in my bright sunny front garden.





I don't copy Ms Easton's plant choices. Her PNW plants would faint and fall over here in South Georgia where summers are hot and humid.

Chartreuse Alternanthera is one of my favorite choices. It grows in sun or shade. Its only downside is that it is a compact little plant, unlike its rampant purple cousin. I have cuttings rooting, to make up for size with mass.









Chartreuse alternanthera & Salvia coccinea
Chartreuse Alternanthera in August, 2008


Every Year is Different. Last year there were purple Daturas. The year before all Daturas were yellow. This year features Duranta repens with purple blooms and yellow berries after I trialed a single one last summer. I think it will be more permanent than the Daturas.

Palest yellow, chartreuse, dark purple and all shades of orange -- an incredible palette with unlimited choices.
Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean at http://www.seedscatterer.blogspot.com/ in hot, humid Southwest Georgia USA.

7 comments:

  1. These colors compliment each other very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lilies are so pretty Nell. That Chartreuse Alternanthera sure makes a bed pop doesn't it. I really like your orange rose. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful choices and I love the palette!

    I have sown orange and lime zinnias... with purple stick verbena on one side... and blue bog sage on the other side of the garden bed. I couldn't decide between blue or purple with the orange and lime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it will be wonderful if you have both blue and purple, Cameron. Think of red, blue, yellow as the primary colors. Orange, purple and green are secondary colors incorporating the primaries so the more the merrier probably works in a large garden.

    Except for the huge pink Carefree Delight rose that is too large to move, I try to keep pink out of the main part of this garden. Some periwinkles in pink just will sneak in. I try to pull the gaudiest and leave the pale pinks. Everything else pink goes to the upper garden out of sight from the oranges in the front. Then I break my own rule when the Muhly grass blooms this fall but fall has its own colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful flowers. Our day lilies are just now getting buds. Every once in a while we get an early bird. jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those colors together. A chartreuse that might work easier than taking lots of cuttings is Jewels of Opar (talinum paniculatum) It is a tender perennial. The foliage is the thing. The blooms are tall airy things with a pinkish cast rather like the blooms on heucheras. They don't stand out at all so I don't think would detract from the bed. My sis gave me my first seeds several years ago.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your color combos Nell. I am starting to love chartreuse. Have it in Jewels of Opar and it's really growing on me.

    Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers