Saturday, May 29, 2010

What Determines Your Ideal Garden?

What Defines the Ideal Garden? I read once a writer had determined that the rich spent their money on three things: sunshine, water and privacy. With ample sunshine, I expect they buy a bit of shade, too.

Photobucket
The south side of the Front Garden features white crape myrtle, pale yellow-green daylilies and white lilies. I added Salvia leucantha for fall purple. In winter evergreen camellias bloom pink but winter is a different season.

Photobucket
The opposite side has the same crape and daylilies. Added are yellow lilies, 'Moonbeam' coreopsis, Roses 'Sunny Knockout' 'Grandma's Yellow Rose'  'Julia Child 'and 'Eclipse.' Nicotiana is new from seed.


Moving to the Upper Garden, Black eyed Susans bring lots of temporary yellow.
Photobucket
Black eyed Susans backed with Vetiver grass whose tips bend over in the breeze.






Photobucket
The south side of the oval lawn features blue hydrangeas and orange daylilies.
The north side of the oval lawn has pink flowers: daylilies, roses, pentas.
Photobucket

The recent prolonged winter that we've almost forgotten by now damaged many Cycads in this area.

Photobucket
I cut off the fronds that were totally dead, leaving those with some green to produce chlorophyll for new fronds. They've finally shown themselves. I counted 36. When this cycad was a tiny seedling, its first year's new fronds were four. The next year, eight. It added multiples of 4 as it grew.


Amy asked when a garden is finished. Mine's finished. (Do you believe that?) I'm editing. Beds that seemed reasonable 10 years ago are now overgrown and need making smaller.for easier maintenance.

A Poll on the sidebar asks the ideal size of a garden. The questions do not adequately cover some important aspects. Should the garden be flat, or have terraces and contours? I like a change in terrain. Stones are important to my garden along with trees, shrubs and swathes of lawn.



Please take part in the Poll and comment.


Flowers and text from the garden of Nell Jean at http://www.seedscatterer.blogspot.com/ in hot, humid Southwest Georgia USA.

7 comments:

  1. You have a lovely garden. My garden is not even near finished. I think it will be one of those never ending projects. That is fine by me.

    I am interested in seeing if anybody will choose "smaller than now" choice in the poll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nell. Your Cycad is coming back beautifully. I just love your beds and color combination's. The orange lilies with the blue hydrangeas look so pretty together. I am going to take your advice on the lilies and add some more colors to them. When I bought the assortment I was not expecting all red and not a pretty red at that. LOL! Also I appreciate your advice on the peony also. I will add more compost to it and hopefully that is what it needed. It is so good to get this free advice from a pro LOL! Thank you and have a wonderful weekend. Now on to the poll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to ask google, we currently have just over a third of an acre. (I am used to square metres). Now we enjoy it, but one day it will be too big for us. Then I hope for a small garden, just big enough to enjoy. But definitely more than a few pots on the patio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks idyllic :-). Such a lovely mix of textures and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your response ~ finished and now editing. :) Your garden looks beautiful and that 4th photo...very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your white crape myrtle, very pretty! Your color combination looks just gorgeous! I certainly want a bigger garden than now since I only have narrow strips around the house :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the size of your garden seems pretty ideal to me! :) Of course I do have more grassy areas that could be carved into beds but that will take some work...one year at a time I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers