Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Blooms in the Night

Epiphyllum oxypetalum Night Blooming Cereus. My Grand-Aunt Terry used to load her Cereus in bloom in the back of her Desoto and haul it around Dunwoody near bedtime to show folks too old or infirm to get out in the middle of the night and come to her house to see it. She tried every way she ever heard to preserve a blossom, failing each time. Freezing in a block of ice was the most unsuccessful. She would love that we can capture it and send all over the world just as the blossoms open.

Tuesday night we had 6 blooms to open on one plant and only one bloom on the other. The one lost some buds when I let it go too dry after buds set.





















I wish you could have enjoyed the incredible fragrance along with the views.
There is one bud left to bloom in a day or two. The plant with only one blossom is already setting more buds. If we are fortunate, there will even be blooms in October after I bring them inside.

Mama used to bring hers inside the kitchen for the winter. Sometimes a shoot would go to the ceiling  searching for more light. This is a marvelous pass-along plant, worth the wait to see it bloom if you have space for one. Flowerlady has them growing outside in South Florida.

11 comments:

  1. Nell, what a spectacular plant. The close ups of the individual blooms are stunning..........and fragrance to boot.

    I don't have patience for that kind of plant. My MIL used to do some special light thing with her Christmas Castus and it would always bloom in a wonderful way, simply covered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... it really is a stunner. There's something about such a pure white bloom ... it's eye-catching! I love the story about your great-aunt trying so hard to share the beauty of this flowers with others ... priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! I want one! My neighbor came running over the other day to show me her flowers that open at dusk. It was the first time I'd ever seen anything like it. (I'm 47) So now I so want something like this in my yard. Thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my all time favourite plant. We used to have it in my childhood home and our whole family will wait and watch it as it blooms, with a torchlight. I have been looking for a seedling but futile until now. It is extremely gorgeous and you are so lucky to have it blooming now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this plant, but the flowers are beautiful! It would make a fabulous addition to a moon garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so gorgeous Nell. What delicate white petals. I simply love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful flower! Thanks for putting it in your computer and driving it around my neighborhood so I could see it. :-) -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. An amazing and gorgeous plant/bloom! Love the story about your Grand-Aunt hauling one around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I haven't been a regular visitor Nell. I love that plant, so unusual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You took some great photos of the cactus flower. It's such a beauty. That's a hoot about your Grand-aunt Terry...she's a true gardener. My neighbor called me up at 9pm one night and asked me to come over and see hers. It was definitely worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous cereus! I love how so many of the night-blooming plants are so fragrant. A personal favorite of mine is datura, which started blooming a couple months ago and scents up the night air for a couple dozen feet all around.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers