Thursday, June 10, 2010

Julia, Sunny and Grandma: Yellow Rose Bed

This post is dedicated to Ferne who suggested Sunny Knockout roses on my post that included Knockout Roses. I wish when I bought one Sunny KO, I'd have bought more. The same with Julia Child  -- I have two Julias. They are fairly new and still small.



Eventually Julia and Sunny will grow and fill the bed, along with Grandma's Yellow Rose aka the Chicken Rose aka as Nacogdoches. I'm still waiting for the only Hybrid Tea, Eclipse, to prove its worth. These roses tend to fade to a pale yellow after they open. I like the pale ones. Both are wonderful with companions but the companions tend to want to take over the bed. I should have used the smaller Shastas.


Clockwise from upper right: Grandma's Yellow Rose, Sunny Knockout aka Radsunny,  'Julia Child' rose and Brocaded Gown daylily, also a pale yellow. Daylilies form a border on the driveway side.


Companions in this bed are 'Brocaded Gown' Daylilies, white Nicotiana, 'Moonbeam' coreopsis, Shasta Daisies that began here from seed years ago and some new true Lilies that I forgot their name. A few Violas persist in the shadier areas of the bed.

West end of the Yellow Rose Bed. What looks like
a spike of grass is Lemon Grass Cymbopogon.
The dog and cat love to eat Lemon Grass.
By summer's end a single culm will have formed a clump.
Lemon Grass dies back and in spring we start over.


April 30, 2010 Julia Child


Julia Child June 8, 2010

There is a new Poll on the Sidebar about Roses in Your garden.
Please tell us about the roses in your garden.

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean at http://www.seedscatterer.blogspot.com/ in the hot, humid depths of Southwest Georgia USA where nospray roses are always subject to blackspot.

Please choose as many kinds of roses as apply in your garden in the Poll on the Sidebar. OGRs and  Shrubs are not broken down into subclasses, so there are reasons for commenting, or writing your own post on roses to link back.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely roses! I've got roses here that were planted long ago and I admit I don't know what they are so I'm staying tuned to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Julia Child rose is so pretty. I am afraid it is a little too cold for it here but I am going to enjoy my Sunny Yellow knockout too. Your yellows look so pretty Nell and the violas light up the bed. I have the Moonbeam Coreopsis too and like it but I wish its stems were sturdier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot Nell. About the rose survey. Girl you know Dr. Huey grows in my rose bed LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm not telling you that you should, but you can make lots more Sunny in a matter of weeks. Just use a recently bloomed tip, remove the faded flower, and stick in soil in a shady spot. Cover, and wait. They root too easily. Of course, they are patented, so if you do it, I don't know you.

    I only bought one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the yellow theme. All are pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the yellow!

    This year my shastas got way taller than normal too. I had planted them to the front expecting a much smaller clump. They are 36 to 40 inches....

    I don't do roses well..............

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want a yellow KO..they are so happy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love yellow in the garden and your blooms are lovely Nell Jean. ;>)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers