Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Purple, Orange, Chartreuse, Yellow Revisited

After a bit of cooling rain, 0.15 inches, I went out to make a little tour. I'd been in self-imposed reclusion while daily temperatues hovered at 100 in the shade. Somebody killed a rattlesnake on the just beyond the south driveway. Scavenger critters took him away before I saw him.


Lighter blue agapanthus have shedded. Storm Cloud is just
showing color against a background of faded hydrangeas.
The funny little blossom on a long stem is Porterweed.


Yellow gladioli blooming in the yellow rose bed anchored by a white crape myrtle.
Pale pink nicotiana is in this bed, from 'white' seed.
Salvia leucantha in background is mounding in preparation for fall color.

Planted two years ago, dollar store bulbs.
It takes inexpensive corms a couple of years
to grow to a good blooming size.

 
Yellow roses continue to bloom, 'Moonbeam' coreopsis is joined
by purple periwinkles from seed planted early spring.



Faded Black eyed Susans are pulled and periwinkles quickly fill the spaces.
Madagascar periwinkle is one of the most prolific reseeders.
I pull all except the darkest purple and palest pink for best effect.
Behind the periwinkles is Lantana montevidensis facing the road.
Lantana presents a uniform front while plants on the back of the bed
come and go.


 
Chartreuse alternanthera is growing on nicely.


Gaillardia 'Sundance' from purchased seeds


Kniphofia stems curl when they lack water.
Pale pink just will sneak into my palette.
'Carefree Delight' roses have yellow centers.



Kniphofia with Purple Heart Setcreasea


Another Red Hot Poker with Purple alternanthera cutting


Is that more pink lurking in the background?

Crinums like oceans of water.

A closer view


Crocosmia is a thug that plants itself all over, here with
Purple Heart under 'Little Gem' Magnolia.

My favorite periwinkle with Persian Shield
Seedlings are by chance.

Crocosmia with Shrimp Plant. Hummingbirds like Shrimp Plant;
Butterflies enjoy Crocosmia.

Shrimp Plant was killed almost to the ground last winter.
It made a stunning comeback.

Flowers and text are from the garden of Nell Jean at /www.seedscatterer.blogspot.com in the hot, humid depths of Southwest Georgia USA where we got a bit of welcome rain on Monday.

9 comments:

  1. You have been indoors out of the heat, and I am praying for more. We will get a heat wave and I will be hiding indoors and complaining about it. Your flowers are doing well in spite of the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you, I'm a couple of states up from you and the heat here is the same. I've been venturing out in the evening hours and even still the humidity stinks. I didn't realize how invasive "Crosomia" was. And I love your purple heart!! Annual here. I can't get my 'Agapanthus' to do anything, any ideas for me??? I just have leaves. Maybe dig it up and pot? Love your garden post and flowers.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Kniphofia lives in the bog garden. When I see them growing wild it tends to be in marshy areas where they have wet feet. Lost the buds on the first one to the heat. But we do have that one flower on the later variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your light purple agapanthus is so pretty. I have the Storm Cloud and it is quite a contrast to the lighter purple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your garden looks lovely! I am still waiting for the rain. Lots of noise & lightning but not a drop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crocosmia like a thug in your garden... one we try to tempt into ours. The differences between northern and southern garden never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning: Crocosmia not a thug here, difficult to overwinter in the ground. Last winter was mild so some that were left in came back. We treat as annual starting some in pots.

    Have a great day,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realise how much I like periwinkles.
    Another gorgeous trip around your garden, just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We finally got enough rain and clouds today to end the hottest month on record up here.

    I bought gladiolus corms from Southern States this year. The blooms were fabulous and huge. I'll have to go dig up the name, but the color is a soft apricot-orange and I let stick verbena and orange cosmos and zinnias grow in the same bed. I've cut the gladiolus and now the cannas will bloom, followed by the ginger. It's a new bed that I created this spring.

    Crocosmia stays put in my garden. I guess it's the zone difference.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers