Tuesday, July 6, 2010

String Bikini Crinum




Native from NW Florida across to SE Texas along the Gulf, String Lilies Crinum americanum are another of the 'hurricane lily' flowers, blooming when ample rains come our way.

They send out stolons causing new plants to appear unexpectedly.

So far we've seen Milk and Wine crinums, pale pink, dark pink and now the string lily. The fragrant Jagus crinum, pure white and smelling of vanilla is yet to bloom. The big clump that always blooms just hasn't yet decided this year it is ready. A clump of Jagus that He-who-mows ran over two years ago has not recovered. I gave it compost, water and everything. Maybe the mower took off the growing points.

Cameron asked recently how long before they bloom after planting. I've seen some bloom the next year. Some that I planted too deep never bloomed until years later when I dug and replanted with their necks sticking out of the ground.


14 comments:

  1. how pretty....glad it wasn't a thong bikini, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the title of the posting I was beginning to wonder there Nell LOL!
    They are so lovely. What a wonderful native plant to have around. I am always amazed at some of the wildflowers in different areas that are just so fantastic. Ours seem so plain here LOL! But I guess the little winged critters love them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nell Jean, crinums are my absolute favorite lily. They're new to me, since I relocated to FL. I have the queen emma, milk and wine and the string lily. They're all so beautiful! I've not purchased one of them...all either given to me or found on the curbside awaiting the garbage man. Great post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet "he who mows" won't do that again. :) Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What pretty flowers! I don't think Crinums grow here.
    PS I love your new blog look. Your pictures really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally, a string bikini I WANT to ogle! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned something New today, never heard of the string Lily it's very pretty, got to make a note and get some in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh, I love those dark filaments. This is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crinums are definitely an old southern favorite. Ours are looking beautiful a little further south of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, so pretty! I wish I knew more about gardening now that I have a house.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've lived in San Antonio almost all my life and most days I really love it. It offers just about all the comforts of a big city without the big pice tag attached. Oh, and the shopping here pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for posting these photos of the string lilies, they were so lovely to look at when I lived in Florida. Come to think of it, the types of flowers I encountered in FL was my favorite thing about the state :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your crinums are so pretty! Here, it's been a fantastic year for them. I don't know why -- maybe the extra cold we got this winter helped. Some of mine that never really bloom are actually flowering for the second time this year! Great pictures - thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers