Saturday, August 21, 2010

Duranta joins Datura as a Drought Fighter

Back in February I was wondering if my Duranta was dead. It finally sent up little sprouts and I planted out the pieces I had rooted just in case.

On the way to the mailbox I noticed that last year's big Duranta has reached 5 feet tall and is blooming. I've been staying in out of the heat. We  had rain early in the week, then a trace yesterday, lots of thunder and lightning this afternoon. I ducked out just long enough to get an illustration pic for today.

Lemon grass, Madagascar periwinkles and Duranta

Rooted pieces of Duranta have endured. One has come into bloom.
Duranta with Melampodium, an annual for hot and dry.

Duranta is wonderful with yellow. Maybe next year I'll have Duranta and Esperanza together.




7 comments:

  1. I'm going to take cuttings of many of my tropicals this winter too, if only as a safeguard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog because it helps me learn the plants of the South. Heading back to Georgia soon, so my focus is changing from the Pacific NW to the SE. Can't wait to see what survived the summer on Lake Eufaula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duranta is a great plant, I have it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nell Jean. It has been a scorcher this summer and I do not blame you for staying in doors. I love your purple or blue Duranta and wish it was hardy here.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The duranta is lovely! I've never tried it. I'm so ready to stop expanding my garden and plant selections after this summer's heat. I'm getting too old to add more variety!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another one I have never heard of. It is a beautiful shade of blue. This is one year most of us have needed plants that could tolerate hot and dry.

    Cameron's comment works for me too; only I would add "cut back on what I do have".

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been very hot! I like your purple and yellow color combination!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers