Monday, March 28, 2011

After the Storm


Last evening it looked as if another storm was coming. The weather radio confirmed that we were under a severe thunderstorm watch. I left for Church just a few minutes early. By the time I turned on  Church Road, lightning was flashing all around and rain was pouring. I sat in the churchyard waiting when I head something strike the car. I wondered if some child was out in the rain throwing stones and then realized it was hail which lasted less than five minutes.

I waited in the car until one minute before the service was to begin -- everybody else was there early because there was a supper after the service. I looked around the car for something to protect me from pouring rain. There was a pair of short socks under the seat. I put them in my purse. I leapt into the flooding churchyard with my head protected by a thick cotton bathmat that I keep in the back seat for the dog to sit on. Inside, I removed my soaked shoes in the foyer, dried my feet with the dryer side of the bathmat and put on the socks. A few people noticed my footwear as I hurried to the piano.

I didn't stay for supper. On the way home, there were trees down in places and smoke over the road near the crossroad. I heard later that the storm blew the windows out of a mobile home near where I saw the commotion. Nearer home there were leaves and debris everywhere. Our driveway was littered with small limbs and leafy twigs. The electricity was off. Trees had fallen on a powerline in a yard about a mile away.



The only real damage we've found is to the greenhouse. Large hail made holes in roof panels on the north side, the doors and side panels. Panels on the south wall and south roof were blown out. and damaged. I'm still searching for two of the panels.





Here's the good news. Everything was outside except a few cuttings of no real consequence and a single flat with tiny seedlings of Purple Datura, Pride of Barbados and Candlesticks. They were not harmed.  Some little pots of Datura that I'd pricked out were overturned and lost some soil but they are fixed now. My plants are safe. Polycarb panels are replaceable.


15 comments:

  1. Hi I'm new to your blog and I'm now following you. Sorry about your green house. I love organic gardening from seeds too, mostly with veggies but now I'm beginning to plant some flowers from seeds. I'm looking forward to reading your posts. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dotty,
    We're glad you are safe and sound. The greenhouse is damaged but nothing to serious. Good the plants were ok too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad all is well with only the greenhouse needing repair. It is tough to wait out a hail storm. We have had only one bad one with hail up to baseball size. Cars, windows and roofs were badly damaged. But this is rare here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear everyone is safe. I feel bad for the people in the trailer house. We get lots of hail storms here. I hope my new greenhouse can hold up. Hope you find the missing panels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nell ~ So glad you are safe and that your greenhouse didn't suffer too badly. I hope the people in the mobile home are able to get windows replaced soon.

    Hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I can understand how you feel....one tornado ruined my hoop house greenhouse and one destroyed the hay barn... I am glad you just had minimal damage.

    Please check your roofing....we never think of that and sometimes the hail damage is very severe even though there is no leaking....now.
    I know of several people that had their entire roofs replaced by insurance because of hail storms.

    I dread storm season. At least I hope you got some good rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm blog hopping today. .and enjoyed peaking through your last posts. The butterflies were BEAUTIFUL!! Also want to tell you that I am so sorry about the damage to your greenhouse!! I have one a similar size and would be so sad to have to deal with that type of devastation!! Am so glad your plants are fine. .and the rest of your home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am glad you are safe and the damage was relatively minor! I always say a prayer about the weather this time of year, as well as those fall months that sometimes bring tornadoes. But seeing the beautiful spring flowers, birds, and butterflies is worth it. I have also enjoyed your last few posts. Your decorative mosaic birdbath is delightful! Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faithful to serve your church..my girls and I are like that too. I am so glad you did not have more damage and that you were safe on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Must have been some storm! I hope you find the panels to your greenhouse and you can get it fixed easily. I had to laugh about the bathmat on your head!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad nothing worse happened. We just don't get storms like that here with huge hail big enough to cause damage like that. I imagined you with your bathmat running into church, quite the picture :)
    Hope the weather settles soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a very frightening storm! I'm glad the damage wasn't worse. And you were so resourceful using that bathmat to protect yourself from the rain :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your greenhouse. I've always wanted one. Hopefully the damage wasn't too bad. Thanks for the tip on trying to get my feed up and running. I worked on it, but couldn't get it to work. I think it's the actual feed. I have problems since I changed my url from a blogspot.com to a .com and ever since things haven't worked properly. But I'll work on it again. Maybe it's something simple that I don't know how to fix:) Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Update: We repaired the south side of the roof and were able to replace the south side panels to protect the electrical.

    We are ready to put new panels on the north side of the roof but there's another thunderstorm today. Rain is already pooled at field edge and the drainage ditches along the highway are full. Last night's prediction was for more hail and winds this afternoon.

    I hope this front is moving through early without mishap. We can use the moisture, if Farmer Danny's newly planted cornfields do not wash away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear...glad that everything (minus the greenhouse) is okay!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers