Monday, March 21, 2011

Almost Showtime -- Preview of Attractions


We are nearing the time of year when all of South Georgia turns into fairyland.
The most humble homesteads turn into virtual bowers overrun with
wisteria, spiraea, azaleas, camellias, loropetalum and dogwoods.

Pink Pearl azalea behind a Sweet Shrub's tiny
brown fruity blossoms.







Spiraea in the near view; wads of contained wisteria in the distance.



Dogwoods are opening just ahead of most of the azaleas. Loropetalum is on the way out.
If you were here, we'd stroll through the Oval Lawn to examine every little sprout and shoot in the Upper Garden holding promises of late spring and early summer delights including hydrangeas.



I'll save the story of our Dogwoods for another post.






4 comments:

  1. Such abundant and beautifully delicate blooms! Love those pink azaleas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are so lovely! I enjoyed the virtual walk among azaleas and dogwoods, I miss their beauty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be there to examine every little sprout and shoot in your garden! I'll just have to settle for getting it second-hand in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how beautiful. I should be able to grow azaleas and dogwoods, but for some reason they don't like my soil (or me, or something). Love the pink dogwood. A fairyland for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers