Monday, March 7, 2011

Loropetalum: an Alternative Evergreen Blooming Shrub

Early in bloom this year, Loropetalum adds early color to the garden. The olive or purple leaves add summer color. Rebloom starts in August for fall color. In older landscapes in my area  Loropetalum is usually pruned into tight cupcakes or flying saucers in an attempt to contain the graceful branches. When Loropetalum first came into vogue, they were not expected to reach such heights and widths. 

Camellias, Redbud and Box viewed through branches of blooming fringes of Loropetalum.

I never expected Loropetalum to spread so wide when I planted the tulip Magnolia next to it.
Can you see two buds at bottom and a tulip Magnolia flower near the top?


In summer, purple Loropetalum leaves will form a backdrop for the
Brugmansia that I plan to plant here. The wood is the remains of a
rustic tuteur I took down.

Plan here is to prune the bottom limbs off so Loropetalums
form multitrunked trees. The green plants underneath are
maturing Daffodil plants that need more light.


Crape myrtle and Loropetalum are
good companions. Pear tree in distance.


Edible hard pears in bloom.


Loropetalums on the right are companions to Gene Boerner floribunda roses and
crape myrtles. In the distance is a white species Loropetalum.

Closer view of white Loropetalum.
Michael Dirr dismissed white Loropetalum
as worthless in the landscape
when the fuchsia colors first gained popularity.
.

A broader view than the top pic. Some loropetalums that outgrew their spaces I've pruned into
tall narrow trees. This one is snuggled up to a crape myrtle near the driveway, a good pairing
because the seasons of bloom are opposite but the colors are similar.

I looked back to see what was on my blog at this time the past two years; almost the same view.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness. That luscious hot pink took my breath away. I wish it was closer to planting time around my joint... Thanks for sharing such pretty pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Loropetualums...I saw white and pink planted together today, didn't have my camera. Anyway the white blooms are mixed with the pink ones, what a statement they made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I've ever seen any this large! Most of the ones around here are pruned into hedges. Very interesting that they actually become trees! I may have to reconsider how I'm going to use mine. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nell Jean. What a fabulous shade of pink the blooms on it has. The color of the Magnolia blooms goes very well with and matches it. What gorgeous spring blooming shrubs you have.

    P.s. I had a good laugh about your comment on Any Spam Left here is Fried. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the loropetalum planted with the magnolia. The blooms of the magnolia amidst the hot pink of the other blooms is just perfect.

    This may be my favorite time of year in your gardens.....that drive up to the house....perfect again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing plant! Thanks for educating me, Nell Jean! Love those fringes and vibrant color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are stunning shrubs and i wish I had more success with them...gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Loropetalum in your garden! I wonder how it would fare here in sunny South Africa ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pics. I love Lorepetalums!! I had one when I lived in Texas. Thanks for posting and making my day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe your Loropetalum's are blooming already! What gorgeous shrubs... mine are only budding now. I also love that you have a white blooming variety, as although they are less popular (I guess Dirr was right) I still think they are a great specimen plant!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers