Thursday, March 17, 2011

Oh, Compost!

One of the chores on today's list was to sift compost.

A square of 1/2 inch hardware cloth makes a good screen for sifting out sticks and undecayed matter. The compost we screened today is mostly chipped wood dumped over at woods' edge by the people who cut the right of way. We let it decay for some years and then brought what was left nearer the point of use. Next to that pile is composted gin trash, several years old. I mix the two.



Buffy loves sifting compost.

Getting those pieces broken down takes a large paw.

Hard work requires frequent breaks so as not to overheat.
Today's temps reached 80F.

When I sift compost, I pile the rough material over to the side to break down further. Next spring we'll pile it back the other way. During the summer I decorate the pile with daylily blooms picked at days end so I don't have to look at 'soggy socks' the next morning but go straight to admire fresh blossoms. I add pine cones to the pile when I'm raking. Pine cones break down in one year to make good compost.


Screened and mixed, it's ready. We lost a little when Buffy
exhuberantly dug in the mixing process, but we have plenty.



There's a poll on the sidebar concerning how you choose Picks at Blotanical.
Please join in.



19 comments:

  1. Buffy looks like a very skilled assistant! I wish my teenagers were so easily trained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to have a helper in the garden. You can never have too much compost either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like lovely compost. I think I'd like to roll around in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buffy has grown into a beautiful dog, very Golden Retrieverish!

    The compost looks good too...I didn't know a pine cone would break down that fast. I wonder how long it will take my huge pile of chip and twigs to break down?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I was gonna suggest you make a frame out of 2x4's so you could shake the sifter back and forth but looks like Buffy has it all over that. Enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great helper you have and smart to know to take breaks in the heat! Lookslike black gold to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blotanical Picks? My Faved Blogs, and the New blogs, and the Popular and New front pages. Alpha lists is just too daunting ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I think Buffy likes lying in it best. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Clearly I've been going about it all wrong. Think I'm going to have get my dogs to 'read' this post. Hopefully Buffy will inspire them to help me next time my compost needs sifting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute. Does he crush grapes for wine, too?
    As for blotanical - what Elephant's Eye said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buffy is absolutely adorable! I wonder if be tills the land too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're doing good.
    Sounds like a good start for all your pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I laughed out loud when I saw your garden assistant so hard at work sifting through the compost! Buffy needs to come over and give my dogs a few lessons! They aren't half as helpful in the garden. All they want to do is play ball.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buffy reminds me of my assistant, Ella. Only Ella removes all of the big chunks to chew down to a more compostable size. It is fun gardening with such an energetic helper.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buffy reminds me of my assistant, Ella. Only Ella removes all of the big chunks to chew down to a more compostable size. It is fun gardening with such an energetic helper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Buffy has basked in the attention she received here. Thank you all.

    Thanks, too for taking part in the poll.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pics of Buffy in the wheelbarrow gave me a good chuckle! If only I could get my little Pomeranian to help me sift compost! Alas, she's much to "refined" for that messy work - or so I imagine she thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These photos are priceless. What a sweet helper you have!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers