Saturday, March 12, 2011

Waking Rip Van Winkle

Not Rip Van Winkle; Hillstar a late jonquilla.

Also not Rip Van Winkle; a last look at Tahiti.
Hot sun was unkind to Tahiti's buds,
causing many to blast.

We'll not see Rip Van Winkle daffodil blooms here this year. The bulbs have come up faithfully for the past several years. I've never seen the little 'bad hair day' blossoms. I dug them today and moved to a location that may be more to their liking. They've been beside Jet Fire and other miniatures who faithfully bloomed, but not Rip.


Rip Van Winkle now in full sun behind some daylilies, purple heart and larkspur. Moved in the green, they may skip a year's bloom (?) but eventually I hope to see the messy little blossoms.


My first California poppy of the season.
To its left is emerging Salvia farinacea.
Of 18 salvia cuttings I planted last year, about 8 have returned.
I think last fall's drought did them in, not winter's cold.



Seedling violas are starting to bloom where violas were planted last year.
They planted themselves among seedlings of larkspur and poppies
and in the grass. I love their little faces.

Preview of delights to come, Pink Pearl Azaleas are starting to open,
joining the early whites that are always first.
I hope they'll be a real show by Bloom Day.

Last night's predicted freeze did not get that cold.
Tuesday is our predicted last frost day.
I'm ready to move some of the
more hardy plants out to open ground.


5 comments:

  1. Dear Nell Jean, How lovely to see your garden waking up! Maybe mine wont be too far behind. P x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nell, I always love seeing your daffs and that azalea is wonderful. What a lovely name, Pink Pearl.

    Happy Gardening ~ Happy Spring,

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are about two months from our last frost.

    Where are the weeds? I see weeds in every flower bed here....I may just get the mower set on low and mow down those winter annuals before the set seed.

    I love your garden and the individual pics of the flowers.
    This is a great time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are weeds, Glenda, lots of weeds. I try not to call attention to them. Sometimes I'm ripping out weeds with one hand and taking pics with the other.

    Weeds are just an indicator that the ground is rich and the mulch isn't deep enough, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow me if you want too.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers