Monday, April 25, 2011

Every Year is Different

Verbena on a stick in 2008
Not much Verbena bonariensis blooming in this spot this year.
I do see more seedlings emerging. Butterflies will enjoy.



'Yellow' Lantana and a Zebra
Lantana is blooming but there are no Zebras
around. I saw them earlier in the year. Their
host Pawpaw has new growth. Any day now.

'Laura Bush' petunias from another year
These petunias are dependable reseeders.
I'm trying them in new places farther from the
house. When it rains, they smell terrible.
The blooms smell sweet; wet plants are yukky.

8 comments:

  1. Beauty shots and very inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irises around here didn;t do well last year....but this year they are loaded with blooms. You just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NeilJean,
    Your way ahead of us. Our lantana has not shown a single green leaf yet. Miss Huff is the only one that comes back here. Our verbena is barely growing too. Loved seeing the Zebra Swallowtail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, every year is different! I like to look at old photos to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought I had lost all my Verbena bonariensis in the frost and snow but yeasterday, when weeding I found a few tiny plants - hooray!!! They are such wonderful plants for later in the year, wouldn't want to be without them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Verbena bonariensis is another plant that doesn't self-seed that well for me.
    I haven' seen a single one so far this year.

    I must get some Laura Bush petunias; I love that color. I am not seeing too many ss petunias yet either. It may still be early....I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nell Jean, I like your Verbena bonariensis, I do grow it, but we have to treat it as an annual.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers