Friday, April 15, 2011

Sparkleberry and White Shrimp for Bloom Day

Julia Child, extra helping of butter. Spiderwort plants itself everywhere.


Sunny Knockout and Nicotiana, Lemon Grass emerging in the foreground.
Watch for Yellow daylilies next month when the daffodil foliage is gone.

White Shrimp Plant Justicia betonica blooms
here only if I take cuttings in the fall to winter
over inside where it is warm, then plant early.


Just another Iris to you, special to me.
First German Iris I've brought to bloom here.
Storms broke the first two buds; I despaired of seeing
it bloom. This is the last of three recent blossoms.


First Echinacea blooms by the limestone birdbath.
I need a new bamboo pipe to hide the hose that drips to keep the stone bath filled.

When I looked up at the corner of the Upper Garden,
Sparkleberry Vaccinium arboreum is in full bloom.



Native Farkleberry, or Sparkleberry, depending on where you garden.

We had an early spring. After lingering cold in January and Most of February without the usual spring-like days, spring arrived two weeks early. I looked back at last April Bloom Day.
April Bloom Day, 2010
Azaleas, Sweet Shrub and poppies were blooming last year. Azaleas, Dogwood and Philadelphus have already faded here this year after blooming a good two weeks early. Sweet shrub still holds fragrance but the blossoms are  fading fast. Oakleaf Hydrangeas are almost in full bloom.

Eastern Sweet shrub Calycanthus floridus

I have other blooms but I know you need to hurry on to the next Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day Spring Gardens blog which you can find linked at May Dreams Gardens, hosted by Carol.

Verbena on a stick and corn poppy are blooming just in time for Bloom Day.
Larkspur and Peony Poppies are blooming together and I have Laura Bush petunias and
other commonly seen blooms like Gerberas. Watch for them on other southern blogs today. 
Roses are lush and full and fragrant; I wish you could smell them.

Belinda's Dream.

21 comments:

  1. Nell, You're living in a different universe - I won't see nicotiana blooms til July! Love the Sparkleberry in full bloom - really a stunner. I love that Julia Child stuck up for a little (or a lot) of butter in cooking, and that her rose reflects that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for my first iris viewing, Nell Jean. I'm so looking forward to iris in my CT gardens, but they have a way to go. As of today my iris leaves are only a few inches tall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First coneflower blooms I've seen this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great.....I have a few purple coneflowers blooming too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the iris, Nell! It's a very pretty flower. Everything looks great, but that sparkleberry is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how beautiful! The first picture really grabbed my attention. I thought of butter too when I saw that beautiful yellow. I bet your garden smells good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sparkleberry looks like a really interesting plant to have in flower at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Farkle.. sparkle... who cares?? It's just stunning however you name it! I'd love to have one. Yours is the second blog I've visited highlighting this Julia Childs rose. It's a beautiful color. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such beautiful roses, I love Julia Child too, especially for its strong licorice fragrance. Your Belinda's Dream looks wonderful. Your sparkleberry plant is amazing, so tall and graceful and full of blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I have ever seen a shrimp plant like that. My echinaceas aren't even thinking about blooming yet. Love your farkle or sparkleberry. The blooms are so pretty. I don't think I've ever seen one of these, either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just look at all these lovely blooms! I'm happy just to have anything blooming at all right now. Beautiful roses, Nell, and you have every right to think of that iris as special--it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sparkleberry is amazing, and like nothing I've ever seen before. Thanks for showing it to us!

    Happy bloom day

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! The Iris is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, sparkleberry! I've never heard of it, but what an amazing tree to have on your property. And all iris are special to me (had my very first one bloom this year), so I understand the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your rose... I can imagine its scent :)

    I have never seen a Sparkleberry tree. Beautiful!

    Thanks for posting!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your rose... I can imagine its scent :)

    I have never seen a Sparkleberry tree. Beautiful!

    Thanks for posting!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. The sparkleberry tree is a beautiful thing....another I have never seen or heard of.

    The iris is a beauty. I should have lots this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful blooms and way ahead of mine. I love the sparkleberry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The caption on your fisrt picture is priceless- Julia Child with an extra helping of butter. LOL! It is certainly a pretty rose. I have never seen a Sparkleberry tree before- so delicate and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, you're wayyyy ahead of us...imagine echinaceas in April. I actually love seeing the posts of those of you in warmer places, even as we slog through a very cold spring thus far, because I know spring will eventually straighten out here, and meanwhile such posts as these give me comfort and delight. Lovely as always, Nell Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shrimp Plant? What a curious name! I hadn't seen it before but it is something else!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers