Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I Swore not to Publish more Butterflies

Looking at all those past years' butterflies I thought it would not be necessary to take pics of butterflies this year. It takes time. Others, like Randy, do it so much better with nicer cameras. The sun is hot when butterflies are out and gnats come out too. I could just stay in the house and blog about ideas.

But I can't help myself. When there are 3 swallowtails and 2 buckeyes and a little checkerspot and a duskywing all nectaring on newly opened lantana, what am I to do? Take another pic of the birdbath?

I love this birdbath. I still need a hollow bamboo
pole to thread the hose through. Birds love it too.

Beside the birdbath is more echinacea.

video
The camera is still. The flowers and butterfly are moving in the wind.
It felt like Texas in May here today with all that wind.

I have another, longer video but it is poor quality. Just know that there were spicebush swallowtails and buckeyes and a checkerspot. The buckeyes flew away and the little checkerspot was all blurry.


Buckeye on lantanta

You must look closely to see the duskywing upper center on yellow.

Oh, and I saw an American Painted Lady who flew
as soon as he saw the camera.

17 comments:

  1. I am butterfly photograph challenged most of the time, so any picture is one worth viewing in my mind! Was weeding the bank along the water today and on more than one Cudweed was a caterpillar...really need to figure out who this guy was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The butterfly was really rocking. I wonder how they hang on and keep feeding. I was happy to see your butterflies. The cabbage white is the only one I have seen here so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only yesterday, I refered someone to this blog. She was a new gardener, young, and starting her first butterfly garden. I sent her here, and told her this is the best site for real common-sense butterfly gardening.

    I have seen very few butterflies here. We do have a cazillion hummingbirds, however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butterflies and birds are very challenging, but butterflies more so I think.

    I always enjoy seeing yours, especially because you know what they are. I have to get out my book each year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NeilJean,

    You make me laugh! Cool to see a Pipevine Swallowtail in your video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can never take too many photos of butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love butterfly pictures! Keep posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who could blame you? Butterflies are wonderful, almost magical creatures. I find I take loads of photos of them.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Butterflies are fascinating to watch and one always feels the need to photograph them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your profile description - fits me to a tee!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been trying to get pics of butterflies lately - it's hard! They seem to fly here and there with no rhyme or reason - but I guess I just don't think like a butterfly. Love that buckeye photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's no such thing as too many butterfly pictures!! I love buckeyes. I had a lot on my perennial snapdragons and the verbena bonariensis. They usually flit away before I can capture a decent picture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh! Lovely!! Wonderful pictures!! That was my original goal for the back of my yard: a butterfly/hummingbird garden.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get very excited when I see butterflies and even more excited when I can capture one on camera. Post all you want;I love butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep sharing these photos! A garden without butterflies would be a very sad place indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful, have you seen the cartoons 'Miniscule'? There is a lovely one about a caterpillar wanting to fly. Wish we had more in our garden.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers