Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Mother's Day Surprise

Blackout Lily first bloom but not the surprise.

When I got to Church, I saw John Ray Bailey talking to a stranger. Wait, that's no stranger, that's my Knee Baby. (You know what a knee baby is: that's the baby standing at your knee when you have another baby on your lap.)

During the service, I suddenly realized that Glenn was wearing blue jeans. Well, he is from The Beach, they dress less formally. Our members aren't all that dressed up usually, either, except for the preacher and the deacons. Outside I learned he was riding a motorcycle.

During the sermon, Preacher mentioned that his Mama always asked if he was hungry and further said that Mamas always asked and fed their grown children when they visited. I tried to focus on the sermon without worrying about what we might eat.

Afterwards, Glenn said he was hungry and asked if I wanted to go to town to eat. "Everybody and his Mother will be eating out today," I said. He laughed. We went home.

We had boiled shrimp for supper last night. Once home, I boiled some eggs, chopped the shrimp and some onion and other crunchy things and made a quick shrimp salad from 2 cups of leftover shrimp I'd had forethought to peel last night.

For dessert, we ate animal crackers and a York peppermint patty.






That is Buffy the Dog's Wonderwoman Blankie lying by the driveway.

10 comments:

  1. A visit from a son and a bloom? Wonderful! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great surprise! My son rides a motorbike too. Sometimes when I make a new recipe for dinner, I think, I wonder if my son would like this? I'll have to make it when he visits. I still think of him as the 18-year old who left to go to college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I would call a very nice mother's day.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flower, so big.., much bigger than the plant itself. It's nice to see children coming around...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the best kind of surprise!

    Glad he came home.

    The lily is pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you were happily surprised by your sons visit and enjoyed your Mother's Day;-) They will always be knee-babies to their mothers;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you had such a nice Mother's Day. Thanks for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mothers Day! and cheers to two beautiful surprises, love the color in your day-lily...stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a nice Mother's Day. Can't say I had heard the knee baby expression before...good one to tuck away for use later.
    love the lily!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice surprise for Mother's Day, and thanks for sharing it with us.
    Love that lily. I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers